The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-28-2014, 02:11 PM

David, thanks for putting these up.
Your 'Wren Guitar Works: Lutz/Madagascar' looks very fine indeed.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
David, thanks for putting these up.
Your 'Wren Guitar Works: Lutz/Madagascar' looks very fine indeed.
Thanks Geordie ... much appreciated!

I've just put some shots of that Lutz/Madagascar up on my site here
http://wrenguitarworks.com/WhatsNew/...tsNew.html#RFX

I had a ton of fun making this one and am REALLY pleased with the results! I'm loving the new raised fingerboard extension and the response from this wood combo is very gratifying!!!

Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Photographic feast

David

I'm on the west coast of Canada and couldn't make it to the show but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed the images and exhibitor biographies you posted over the preceding weeks. That added a whole level of vicarious enjoyment and participation for me and as far as I recall it's not a feature of any other builder show. It reminded me of the times when I used to log in to the old 12th Fret What's New page on a daily basis to see the images you posted there. And I should add I twice bought guitars from Toronto as a result, despite living in London at the time.

I appreciate that you are very busy and have been diverted from your main aim of building guitars by the show but I wanted to make a suggestion.

It seems that with what you already have you are well on the way to having the basis for a book on Canadian luthiers. Your show has emphasised what a rich tradition it is and Bruce has pointed out a venerable list of others who could be included.

With the low cost of book production now using services like Blurb and the opportunities for funding through things like Kickstarter it seems to me that it could be done without a lot of background publisher and designer input or financial risk.

I imagine that an outsider's suggestion for something else you should be doing with your time is the last thing you want to hear at the moment but your photographs are really outstanding and there is a generation of makers coming towards the end of their working careers, like Oscar Graf, who people are going to want to know about when their guitars are precious vintage instruments in 50 years time.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the photographs - they are spectacular.

Chris (who is contemplating a Canadian guitar purchase on the basis of this show!)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
David

I'm on the west coast of Canada and couldn't make it to the show but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed the images and exhibitor biographies you posted over the preceding weeks. That added a whole level of vicarious enjoyment and participation for me and as far as I recall it's not a feature of any other builder show. It reminded me of the times when I used to log in to the old 12th Fret What's New page on a daily basis to see the images you posted there. And I should add I twice bought guitars from Toronto as a result, despite living in London at the time.

I appreciate that you are very busy and have been diverted from your main aim of building guitars by the show but I wanted to make a suggestion.

It seems that with what you already have you are well on the way to having the basis for a book on Canadian luthiers. Your show has emphasised what a rich tradition it is and Bruce has pointed out a venerable list of others who could be included.

With the low cost of book production now using services like Blurb and the opportunities for funding through things like Kickstarter it seems to me that it could be done without a lot of background publisher and designer input or financial risk.

I imagine that an outsider's suggestion for something else you should be doing with your time is the last thing you want to hear at the moment but your photographs are really outstanding and there is a generation of makers coming towards the end of their working careers, like Oscar Graf, who people are going to want to know about when their guitars are precious vintage instruments in 50 years time.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the photographs - they are spectacular.

Chris (who is contemplating a Canadian guitar purchase on the basis of this show!)
Hey Chris!

First off ... let me thank you for taking the time to look at this thread and making such a thoughtful contribution to it ... thanks!

You're right of course ... a book should be made, like you say, if only to document the contribution of people like Oskar Graf, who have contributed so much to lutherie in general, and the Canadian guitar building experience in particular. Grit Laskin did something similar back in the early '80s that is long out of print and another could and should be done. Thanks for the suggestion ... you have planted a seed!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:55 PM

David

That's great news. I'm sure you would find a wealth of support and encouragement here on the forum.

I've got some awareness and knowledge of similar projects if it is of use at any time.

PM sent.

Thanks again for all this.

Chris
Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Mark Kett is not only a great guitar builder and a world class inlay artist, but a great photographer as well! I had no idea that he took photos at the show until yesterday when he posted some on his Facebook page. Since I did such a crap job documenting the show myself, I thought I'd post his shots here.

OK then ... NOW I'm done with this thread for sure!!!

Mark Kett's Bubinga fan-fret dread!

One of my favorites at the whole show ... G.W. Barry!

Mario!

Dagmar Guitars (Pete Swanson)

Sergei deJonge!

Tony Duggan-Smith!

Oskar Graf!

Michael Greenfield!

Grit Laskin and Sergei deJonge (Chris Lounsbury, background left)!

Douglas Harrison GB Model!

Last edited by David Wren; 07-05-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: forgot a caption
Old 07-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Douglas Harrison!

Anne Hartman!

Anne Hartman (burst) and G.T. Gray Guitars (cutaway right)

Pat Hodgins! (Little Tree Guitars)

Tony Karol!

Michael Kennedy! (Indian Hill Guitars)

Mark Kett Bubinga Dreadnought with Alastair Miller Tele!

William "Grit" Laskin!

Chris Lounsbury!

Linda Manzer!

Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Luis Feu de Mesquita!

Sheldon Schwartz!

David Wren

Joseph Yanuziello!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop