The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Default Techie's and Acoustic Electrics

Recently bought a Tascam GB-10 trainer/recorder. I thought it would be great to be able to play over tracks, slow the song down with-out changing pitch, etc.. My small Yamaha APX500FM sounds great through this machine.

Here's the problem...it is VERY cumbersome to upload songs that are not in MP3 or WAV format. Actually the machine itself is cumbersome -- this is some old technology.

Anyone know of any software programs for PC laptops that are out there? I'm on the road a bunch and this would work great for my trips. Software that pretty much does what the Tascam does. Play over tracks, slow songs down, record my own tracks, effects, etc....

Taking this TASCAM back....there has to be something out there for PC's.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:39 PM

One other note. I use my laptop through my amp at home. It's great to play over lessons found on You-tube. I play the video and listen to my self playing over the instructor, or artist, etc... If there is a program that does all this....point me that way!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 PM

And of course hearing yourself playing over DVD's of your favorite artist. Great to do with the amp and the laptop....but all self contained within the laptop....that's the ticket.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 PM

There's a software program called The Amazing Slow Downer. Admittedly, I was afraid of what might come up googling this search term, but the software works very well. I have an Alesis CD player/guitar trainer that's about the size of a breadbox, but this patch does the same thing from anything that you have in iTunes or other file sources. The Amazing Slow Downer will change pitch without changing speed (nice to play along with Stevie Ray without tuning your guitar down a half step) and of course it will preserve pitch while slowing down (up to a point, after that it sounds rather digital like a cell phone breaking up, but it certainly slows down enough to learn licks). And it's got a loop function which is helpful. There's a free trial version that will play half a song from iTunes.

I run the laptop headphone jack out into the MP3 player input of a Pocket Pod Express using a stereo mini phono cord, plug the guitar into the Pod as well, and use the headphone jack on the Pod which mixes both signals. Yes, it's still a tangle of wires.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:29 PM

There must be a cleaner way to hook up. Can you plug the Guitar into the mic input? and use the headset output normally? Using You-tube has really help me a bunch. I sometime use covers that people post...there are some great variations on songs. So using You-Tube, Playing over DVD's, and my music files that I have on the laptop is really where I would like this to lead.

I'll check out the Slowdowner...
Old 11-29-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofner64 View Post
Recently bought a Tascam GB-10 trainer/recorder. I thought it would be great to be able to play over tracks, slow the song down with-out changing pitch, etc.. My small Yamaha APX500FM sounds great through this machine.

Here's the problem...it is VERY cumbersome to upload songs that are not in MP3 or WAV format. Actually the machine itself is cumbersome -- this is some old technology.

Anyone know of any software programs for PC laptops that are out there? I'm on the road a bunch and this would work great for my trips. Software that pretty much does what the Tascam does. Play over tracks, slow songs down, record my own tracks, effects, etc....

Taking this TASCAM back....there has to be something out there for PC's.
Any reasonable DAW (digital audio workstation) will do what you want plus a lot more. And as far as I know, the DAW with the most function per dollar is REAPER. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php Your download is a fully functional "demo" copy that expires after 60 days and begins suggesting that you should acquire a license, but it retains full functionality even then.

Audacity is another option that will meet your needs and it's a free download. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ I recommend the 1.3 beta version.

These programs have pretty different feel, so you might try both and stick with the one that you prefer.

Most laptops have a built-in mic and a mic input (for a very low end mono electret condenser mic) and you can make recordings with these tools, but there's a good chance that you're at the beginning of acquiring the recording bug and the accompanying ailment known as G(ear)AS.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Talking

Thanks Fran!
Can't wait to check these out. Short night tonight, then out doin' the deal for one more day. Get my first real chance tomorrow night.

By the way, what is G(ear)AS? Sounds like it what I have, but give it to me straight doctor
Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofner64 View Post
Thanks Fran!
Can't wait to check these out. Short night tonight, then out doin' the deal for one more day. Get my first real chance tomorrow night.

By the way, what is G(ear)AS? Sounds like it what I have, but give it to me straight doctor
Ordinary GAS is "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome" and it can be quite dangerous, but really, how many guitars can one person want/need/buy? (Asking this question on AGF requires the tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

G(ear) Aquisition Syndrome seems less of a problem at first, but then we discover how all the little fiddly bits add up, how the shiny techie appeal of microphones expands beyond reason, how the pages and pages of irrational exuberance on GearSlutz (http://www.gearslutz.com - don't click this link!!) warp our mind, and before you know it we find that we have a room in the house filled with gear and dedicated to audio recording even though we only produce one 12 track CD every five years or so ...

It's a very serious problem, just ask my wife.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 PM

That's some funny stuff! I've been playing for over 2 years now....only missed one day in some 792 days, but who's counting. And yes, I'm on my fourth guitar...sold one. Havin a blast and making up for lost time!

Just got home and I'll be looking into the software.

All the best,

Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD