The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Garage -v- Home Studio

When setting up a garage for band practice I take it that you set it up for sound control so you don't anger your neighbors. When setting up a home studio for recording I would guess that it's constructed differently, with acoustics and outside noise control being the priority. What materials do you use for the floor, ceiling and walls? Do you keep the electronic recording equipment outside of the playing area of the studio?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

That's a complex topic. I've done both types of sound treatment, starting out with sound proofing the garage to keep the neighbors happy when my son's punk band was practicing, then moving to working on the acoustics for my use when the band moved on. You can read about what I did on my web site, and I'd suggest searching on the web and checking out various recording forums for info before you dive in. Designing your space, including where to put the recording gear requires some thought about how you will use the space. Band, or 1 person? Do you need isolation (loud drums?) or not, etc. If you plan to have a separate control room, who will sit in there? For personal studios, all in one room is often the most convenient - you can't be in both rooms at once - but if you're recording others, having a separate control room can be nice. And so on. Lots of decisions to make based on how you plan to use the space.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You can read about what I did on my web site
Interesting - thanks. Good to compare some sound clips. 8inches_ORTF_703_realtraps is a nice sound. I'd be very happy with that.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

In answer to the OP, I can add that moving any electronics containing fans and spinning discs to the other side of a wall is an excellent idea.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD