The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 AM

Default so fed up with gc, i think i need to find a new store...

ok so my dad bought me a cheap yamaha nylon when i was 15 i learned a few chords but didnt really start playing and practicing till june of last year. i have bought all my guitars except 1 of them at gc and that guitar was a hog breedlove from a nice guy on craiglist and i had no problems with it, i will let you no i still habe and play the yamaha and it has still never givin me a problem, here is a list of my purchases from gc

all these guitars were purchased at gc, and returned, all used were bought online but i spoke to the store managers about them first and they alk were "so mint, dude its like it new" if you know what i mean

1. used alvarez ad80s dread - after a few months the neck warped and i got shafted on the price i payed more for it used then it cost new
2. used eastman ac508 ordered online - came with cracked top and the neck was so warped the binding were it met the top had aspeed bump
3. used alvarez pd90sc - sounded awfull
4. new takamine ef544sc - gc couldnt figure out why it rattled around the bridge
heres where it gets expensive
5. used larrivee pv-09 - bought online was told by manager mint condition, came with neck crack, back crack, 10 frets lifting so bad you can fit a dime under the ends on the treble side
6. new breedlove pro c25/cre - couldnt here it in the store, got it home herd a rattle, brought it to a luthier, loose brace
7. my current new breedlove american c25/cre h, sounded great untill tonight, all of a sudden the low e not goes dead and every other string creates a rattle, had my friend who is a luthier at a well known store come over, took the guitat apart, checked the nut and saddle, new strings, uninstalled and reinsttaled lr baggs element pickup and tied up wires, checked jl bridge truss and trust rod, with no improvement.

let me say that i keep all of my guitars in the hsc with humidifiers at the corrct humidity and i am very carefull with them, and only i play them. when i purchased my new breedlove the sales asociate told me the manager said he is basically sick of me coming in there, then the sales person im self told me he shouldnt even be making this sale becouse he is so "done" with this, and no one is making any money on this sale and he has other tings to do and is busy, i think i need to find a new guitar store, i can still return the breedlove.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 AM

That's a nasty list of faults, I can't believe you never picked up on these at the store when purchasing, it wasn't just once, but 7 times......

Not that I'm saying these faults should not be corrected or refunded, but you do come across as a nit picky customer after the sale, surely after being burned once or twice you would think to check everything before parting with money once again. I can see the frustrations on both sides if I'm honest, no doubt these guitars were faulty, but if the same guy was coming to my store after the sale each time, I would be frustrated too. In saying that I wouldn't be selling guitars in such a state to begin with.

I think you do need another store, but I also think you have to check out what you're buying in future, you may get caught with a small print on terms saying 'sold as seen' in which case you're stuck with it.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:47 AM

There's two sides to every story.............if it isn't working for you move on, you and GC will both survive.

FWIW I have had a wonderful experience with my GC and bought 9 Martins over 8 years, including a few used Martins, with zero problems.

Good luck with your "new" store.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
There's two sides to every story...
LOL I used to think the same thing. Then someone pointed out that there is three sides to every story. Side 1, side 2, and the truth.

Not trying to say anything about you, Dave. I've just always loved the phrase.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:36 AM

That would mean there's 5 sides, The truth is perception based too, the story of both sides and the truth of both sides must have small concessions within it. Then there's the adjudicators, external onlookers 'truth'.

It's fair to say the OP sounds like a potentially difficult customer, it's also fair to say that based on the story/truth presented by the one side we have thus far, the GC store involved could be lacking in personnel to ensure the guitars going out the door are in good order or are billed as 'sold as seen' in cases where repairs are necessary and the customer is aware of what exactly they ARE buying.

As stated above, both will survive this, I just think it's rather odd that one individual would be burned 7 times in one store without learning the lesson of checking the guitar over for faults first. I would also question if the head office is not aware of so many returns with one customer and asking what exactly is happening. System reports to highlight this sort of anomaly should be well within the capability of their system.

I would also ponder the statements by the store manager, not exactly something they would want a customer to know unless they felt fairly vindicated in doing so.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM

The point you should always remember is that Guitar Center is a franchise operation, ( like McDonalds ) and that each store will inevitably reflect the personality and attitude of the franchisee.

So just because you have always experienced sterling service at one particular GC , it is no indication whatsoever of what you might encounter at the next one along.

And vice-versa, of course ...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
The point you should always remember is that Guitar Center is a franchise operation, ( like McDonalds )
Not sure if that is true...never heard anything about guitar center franchising their stores before. I'm pretty sure they are all company stores...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

we've been pretty happy with the used guitars and basses we've bought at guitar center over the years, but we always buy in person. and we spend time checking out each guitar after we decide we like the tone/feel/whatever.

consider the usual gc employee: they're not paid well, they're usually not experts, and at some stores i go to the ones at their tech station are very over worked - and they're the ones choosing which used guitars the store will buy. chances are the manager doesn't even see 'em, and if he does, i'm sure he doesn't spend 30 minutes with each one giving it the once over.

i've heard the same thing about used guitars from mf - that they tend not to be in the condition claimed and that sometimes they have issues.

i suspect that if one wants to buy used guitars online, best to go to a different type of store - the kind that may charge a little more, but they really do take the time to check out the instruments they buy.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
The point you should always remember is that Guitar Center is a franchise operation, ( like McDonalds ) and that each store will inevitably reflect the personality and attitude of the franchisee.

I also think this is incorrect.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM

i understand what everyone is saying but most of the times i wasburned i had purchased the item on the internet and spoke to someone abut the guitar first and was never told this guitar is excellent.... except for a crack, or a lifting fret, so it wasnt all at one gc location, also it is ushally a bit loud at the 3 gcs in my area and some times hard to hear minor vibrations and buzzes.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Location: Guelph, Ontario, via Montral Quebec/Glace Bay, Cape Breton, NS Canada

Sorry for the dumb question but what is "GC"?
Seagull S12
Yamaha GC12S
La Patrie Arena Pro
Ibanez ASR70
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin
www.bobmaclean.ca
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Location: Guelph, Ontario, via Montral Quebec/Glace Bay, Cape Breton, NS Canada

AHHH-- Guitar Centre - OK
Seagull S12
Yamaha GC12S
La Patrie Arena Pro
Ibanez ASR70
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin
www.bobmaclean.ca
Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 AM

In my neck of the woods there is no GC, so there is no issue ..
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennylux View Post
That would mean there's 5 sides, The truth is perception based too, the story of both sides and the truth of both sides must have small concessions within it. Then there's the adjudicators, external onlookers 'truth'.
No. There is only one truth. If someone perceives something different, then it is no longer truth. Not gonna get much further into it than to say it largely depends on your "belief system". I believe in absolute truth and other things that, if mentioned, would get the thread shut down.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM

...and absolute truth is open to variance depending on who's recanting it too. Absolute truth can't be shared, it just IS, the people get involved and it becomes considerably less than absolute.

It's all open to degrees of flexibility depending on belief systems...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion