The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-21-2015, 10:54 AM

Default Top seam separation

I have the opportunity to buy a really nice demo model Morgan dreadnought from a reputable dealer. The problem is it has had a center seam separation which has been repaired. They are offering a very steep (50%) discount which is great but it would be a final sale so if I got it checked out and there was a problem with the seam I would be screwed.

To any luthiers/repairpeople is there an easy way to tell if the repair was a good one? Would you buy under these conditions?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbutusq View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a really nice demo model Morgan dreadnought from a reputable dealer. The problem is it has had a center seam separation which has been repaired. They are offering a very steep (50%) discount which is great but it would be a final sale so if I got it checked out and there was a problem with the seam I would be screwed.

To any luthiers/repairpeople is there an easy way to tell if the repair was a good one? Would you buy under these conditions?
If I liked the guitar, I wouldn't hesitate. Seam separations are no big deal.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:06 AM

double post

Last edited by RRuskin; 11-21-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: double post
Old 11-21-2015, 11:31 AM

Thanks. Reading up on it on the internet made me think it was a horrific repair involving sacrificing a chicken under a full moon and such.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbutusq View Post
Thanks. Reading up on it on the internet made me think it was a horrific repair involving sacrificing a chicken under a full moon and such.
No, the chicken can be sacrificed during any phase of the moon.

Here's what I'd look for to assess the repair:

1. Do the edges of the crack meet so that there is not a black space between the two pieces?

2. Is the wood on each side of the crack level?

3. Is there any reinforcement on the inside of the crack?

4. Does the inerior look clean or is there glue smeared all over the interior around the crack?

5. If it matters to you, how does the exterior finish look? Has the finish been repaired, making the crack invisible?

In many cases, the most expensive part of the repair is the finish cosmetics. Keep in mind that the cosmetic aspects are just that, cosmetic. The most important thing is the structural aspects of the repair.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:14 PM

To add to what Charles said I'd want to know when it was repaired and how long the fix has been out in the wild. I would also want to know why it split in the first place. Reason I ask is because sometimes when a top or back splits a person will fix it by humidifying the hell out of it and gluing it shut. That would be fine if the guitar was kept under such conditions but in time it will open up again. The proper fix in a case like that is a splint. Contrary to that problem would be in splinting a guitar that has opened up at the seem when it was dry and now the crack wants to close back to normal. In that case you would be able to feel a bump along the crack line.

Otherwise if it was professionally done you aare good to go aand 50% off is a generous offer.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:44 AM

If it's been repaired and looks good, then go for it

But

When a top splits apart at the seam, sometimes to get it back together neat and tight, you have to remove the bridge,the bridge plate, and internal braces, before you can bring the seam back together

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair