The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 AM

Hello! I'm basically in finish curing mode, though I'm doing last coats of varnish on headstock.

MeanWhile, I've started #4, englemann-Macassar ebony 13 fretter with Gibson top bracing (slightly sexauer and preston Thompson inspired modifications) and Martin back bracing. This is mostly instinct because I just seemed to like the tap tones on the Martin style back I did here for #3 more than the Gibson style backs for 1 and
2. As well, by looking at frequency spectra of backs, it seems really important to have the pitch of the back several semitones higher than top and that seems easier achieved with the fat back braces of the Martin style.

I've also now put together a shop fox buffer setup (I was using harbor freight DA polisher). And for some reason having the motor inspired me to build a DIY thickness sander this weekend. It looked straightforward so I went for it (thanks pat hawley and woodgears.ca). I've trued up the drum and will add Velcro tomorrow. Rolls of hook and loop sandpaper are on their way. This gets me super excited!

I rigged it so that I can use same motor for both by just attaching buffer setup (on stew mac style base) to thickness sander when needed. Good enough for now I think.

Also, I've figured out my answer to short hhg set times - I turn on a space heater in my bathroom and crank shower on full hot. It's gets to ~90F and 100% RH = several minutes of open time to glue. I can do the entire kerfing for top or back, for example. I did this because I'd heard Martin a Gibson had hot rooms for hhg glueing. I don't know if I'd pull this off if married etc…..

Untitled by Sam Van, on Flickr
Old 12-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Well I've been waiting for finish to cure, then decided to do some drop filling, added a couple more coats, then fixed cracks in pernambuco, then added a veneer on back of headstock because I decided after the fact that the headstock was too thin, etc etc etc. But here's a few pics just to say this guitar is still alive and kicking. It also needs to be done by Wednesday because my friend I've built it for is coming through town! Woohoo.

I show a pic of the additional furniture bolt that snugs up the dovetail. I obviously have not mastered how to make insides look good! Preston Thompson taught me this and says he notices a difference in sustain etc.

Happy holidays!

Sam

Old 12-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Looking good.

Just wanted to comment on Bruce's method of joining the sides to the top. Used it for the last couple of guitars, a little time consuming but works well if you are doing a one of size or shaped instrument and you do not want to build a mold.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:20 AM

That's purdy.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks for looking in, jdto.

Printer, Im going to PM you at some point to discuss peone further. Cool, glad you've done it.

I have to say, Bruce's/Martins bracing pattern in these wood combos is sounding phenomenal to my ear. Finally got this baby strung up, it gets picked up by my buddy, Kevin, tomorrow.

Its really a full tone. The bass is definitely there (Main top tap tone = 172 hz = low for a 00). But the bass does not sound flabby at all. The mids and trebles are very thick. I love the sound coming out of this. Hopefully others will corroborate what Im hearing.

This build was super tough because I tried to improve from #2. I definitely did that. But my respect for my mentors/luthier idols increases even more. Its really hard to do everything right on a guitar build.

Anyways, it looks great from 3 feet away. Any closer and you will see some things.

Sam
Old 12-23-2015, 07:11 PM

Always a great build when you get the strings on and you hear a sweet sound coming from all your work. Don't know from closer than three feet but I love how it looks from here. The colors are fantastic, the tuners suit the guitar to a T, really sets off the headstock.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:02 PM

Left,

Instead of perfect under close inspection Maybe you perfected the artifact/played in look of a vintage guitar. The burst is georgeous. Can't wait to see the next one.

Jrw
Old 12-26-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minexploration View Post
Left,

Instead of perfect under close inspection Maybe you perfected the artifact/played in look of a vintage guitar. The burst is georgeous. Can't wait to see the next one.

Jrw
Agree wholeheartedly. I like this rustic look as well.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:46 AM

Thanks everyone. The stewmac relic tuners sure help with the vintage vibe!

Once my bud arrived I worked 3 hrs that evening and 3 hrs next morn getting setup just right. Wow hard work! I told him he should still take it to an ace setup guy in Bakersfield if it's not right. However he states that it is absolutely incredible, which is great to hear. He says its so loud and the sustain is amazing. That's what I heard.

I think the furniture bolt that preston Thompson showed me makes a considerable difference in the sustain when combined with a traditional dovetail. Cool.

Sam
Old 02-17-2016, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful!

I'm building my first L-00 and I wish I had seen your post earlier. I'm following a plan taken off a 30's L-00 and modifying it somewhat.

I my earlier builds (all 3 of 'em) I scalloped the braces. But this one I am sticking to the traditional "taper" of the plan. I'm just about to close the top, so if I change my mind, it's gotta be today ; )

The odd thing about the plan is it has a headstock angle of only 10 degrees. I cut a blank to follow the plan and another at ~17 degrees. I think I'll go with the steeper angle since I cannot find ANY L-00 models with the more shallow angle.

I absolutely love the sunburst on your guitar and may have to try it. I have the dyes and have used them for furniture. Yours has inspired me to try it on some tops.

Since this build is one after a long lay-over of many years, it's providing a re-learning experience for me.

Congrats on such a wonderful instrument, thanks so much for sharing.

bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair