The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Default Who uses an explosion-proof fan for spraying?

I spray Nitro usually. Normally just keep the garage door open with a box fan, but I want to mount a fan in the wall so I can keep the garage warm and spray in the winter. I know what the right thing is, but wondering in practice who uses a fan with an explosion proof motor. If so, what size is the fan? I'm planning to dedicate a corner of my shop (8'x8') and vent through the wall.

Last edited by bnjp; 11-23-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 PM

Yep I do.

Safety of ones self is more important than anything else

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 AM

I do. Not worth the risk not to.

Size of fan will depend on opening size of the actual booth, here is the basic formula;

To calculate the amount of exhaust air needed for the booth, a simple calculation is used.

CFM = Booth Face Area in square feet multiplied by the required flow (typically 100 FPM)

For example, and 8 X 10 filter bank or opening on an open front booth (80 square feet) would require an exhaust of 8000 CFM (100 X 80) to achieve the required 100 FPM velocity.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
I do. Not worth the risk not to.

Size of fan will depend on opening size of the actual booth, here is the basic formula;

To calculate the amount of exhaust air needed for the booth, a simple calculation is used.

CFM = Booth Face Area in square feet multiplied by the required flow (typically 100 FPM)

For example, and 8 X 10 filter bank or opening on an open front booth (80 square feet) would require an exhaust of 8000 CFM (100 X 80) to achieve the required 100 FPM velocity.
Thanks Brian! I didn't know how to figure that.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM

A tubeaxial fan with non-sparking blades and motor outside the airflow is a must, as is eliminating any sources of sparking near the flow of spray and exhaust. I suggest some reading before you proceed.

You will need to provide an intake for replacement air, so you may not succeed in keeping your garage warm or humidity controlled when spraying. The change in air temperature and humidity as outside air gets drawn in can affect your finish results. So an indoor spray room doesn't mean you can ignore the weather outside.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 11-24-2015 at 11:54 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair