The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-14-2015, 10:14 AM

Default Trying to replace larrivee Tuners, What am i missing??

Hello, my 4 year old knock over my guitar and bent one of the tuning pegs, and when i bought the guitar used, they threw in a set of vintage grovers. Im trying to replace them but i think im doing something wrong, or missing part.

Be warned i dont know proper guitar part terms...

So the previous owner had installed these before because it already has the screw holes in the back as they are different from stock larrivee..

So the problem is after i screw in the peg from the back i assume the next part is to put the hex screw/nut part through the front.....well the grover nut is about half the height of the larrivee ones, the grover doesnt have a washer like the stock larrivee, so when i drop the nut in, it never tightens, it just turns and turns. Am i missing a part? Is it ok that the nut just turns? Hopefully all this makes sense without pics. Any help is appreciate as im guitarless until i get this done. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Default test fit parts

Nice to know if the new tuning pegs will assemble correctly when not on the neck - - - does the nut tighten when you try to assemble the tuning peg as a test before installing it? If it does, then time to figure out if the headstock is too thick for the nut to engage the threads on the tuner body. East enough to do by holding the peg alongside the neck and see if the nut portion can reach the threads.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Can't determine if you are reinstalling the now-repaired tuner or have obtained a replacement you are attempting to install. The hex nut should snug down with or without a washer. Sounds like it is not engaging the threads properly. Replacing tuners can be complicated for several reasons (e.g., shaft length, screw hole alignment, etc.). I suggest you contact a competent luthier or Stewart McDonald customer service for assistance:

Stew-Mac Customer Service
800-848-22739AM-6PM ET, M-F

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 11-14-2015, 06:57 PM

Different guitars have different headstock thicknesses. If the L'Arrive is thicker than standard, it could be that the tuner sleeves in your set are too short.

Just get something that fits right. You could get some press-in ferrules if you find some to fit the posts and the holes.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-14-2015, 07:27 PM

I replaced the tuners on my OM-05 with Gotoh 510 Tuners from Stewmac. They fit perfectly without any issues. http://www.stewmac.com/Items.aspx?se...LATING%3aBLACK

I chose the black ones.
Taylor GA3
Old 11-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltoid View Post
I replaced the tuners on my OM-05 with Gotoh 510 Tuners from Stewmac. They fit perfectly without any issues. http://www.stewmac.com/Items.aspx?se...LATING%3aBLACK

I chose the black ones.
^^Exactly

I bought my OM-05 used and one of the tuners broke after about 3 weeks.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair