The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Case repair??

Okay, so I've got one of those brown talyor cases that came with the guitar. The bottom hinge has popped off the body of the case, but is still attached to the top. I don't have a pic, but if this is too hard to picture I can take one this weekend and post it later.)

Dare I just take a couple of small screws and screw the bottom back in? It looks like it was originally held together with some kind of rivets.

Does they warranty cover cases? Even if it did, I couldn't take my guitar anywhere until I got the repair done though, since it'd be caseless!

BTW, seems like a bad design, IMO, to have the weight of the case guitar resting on the hinge itself when you set the case on its side. Somebody at taylor should know better...

My Band!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:38 AM
just peeking....

I'd call Taylor about that. Never heard of Taylor case warranty though. But if it just popped off from normal use and not as a result of being dropped or something, I would think that they may repair that free of charge. However, depending the shipping cost, you may save time and a few $$ just to bring the case to a luggage/bag repair shop. Seems like its just a minor repair job but if I were you, I would not attempt to screw it back in because it may happen again and it may just widen up the holes the rivets were in. Good luck!
In one of the threads I created, I was complaining of the edges fraying. Unlike the black dread case that I have, the cover wraps around the edges so there is no possiblity of fraying. I agree, the brown case looks good but they have to improve the design.

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 03-01-2005, 11:10 PM

If you bought the guitar and case new, then call Taylor and they should send you a new one. They may ask you to send them the old one, but I doubt it.

They sent me one, and never asked for the old one. Although they said they were going to send a return shipping tag, didn't send it with the replacement, and they never sent the tag separately, either.

The worst thing that happens is that they say no, and you have to fix the one you've got.

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 03-02-2005, 12:59 AM

If you bought the guitar new, the case should be covered, so call Taylor before you do anything else. When I brought my 355 in for some work about a year after I bought it, I mentioned that one of the latches was really loose and another was really tight. The rep replaced the case without hesitation and apologized for my inconvenience.

In the unlikely event that Taylor won't take care of the case, be careful about how you reattach the hinge, because you don't want something sticking into the guitar when it's in the case. It might even be worth your while to have it repaired by someone who specializes in luggage.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:24 PM

My Taylor cases (brown Pink Poodle for the 814ce, black monkey butt for the 414rce) are both scuffing and fraying badly around the edges due to much airline travel and load/unload wear & tear at gigs--time to get out the Mystik Tape (or whatever they're calling it these days). Acc. to Frank Ford's site, it's the covering that provides the first and best line of defense for the case, and if the bare wood is showing, your axe is in danger of becoming toast. Meanwhile, I notice that the bail on one of the latches on the black case no longer stays securely on (the hasp no longer snaps closed completely). Fortunately, the Pegasus flight case I had made (Model Four, no longer offered) passed its first flight test with flying colors (albeit a scuff or two on the body), so that's the only way my Taylors are gonna fly anymore unless I take SW or AirTran, both of which are great about letting guitars in gigbags onboard in the overheads.
I'm seriously considering buying a SmallDog case cover anyway.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:49 PM

My cheapo cases have a strap to prevent it from opening too much. The Taylor case does not - and I think that's where the long term problem of hinge failure comes in. So I am more careful about opening it too much.

Of course, the danger of not opening the case enough is that the case top slams down on the guitar when you are removing it and dents it. So I am real careful with the manuver.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification