The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-24-2005, 09:51 PM

Default www.webstrings.com - any experience with these? Thoughts?

I had to dig into my last set of Elixirs last week at church, which effectively leaves me with no spare g-strings (no joke or pun intended, of course). Our college group can probably help cover the cost of some strings for me, but as Elixirs are the longest-lasting and best sounding strings that I've ever used, I have a very hard time going back to uncoated strings. Every time I try a set, they get dull and lifeless and lose their tone within a week or two at the ABSOLUTE most. Maybe I just have ultra-acidic skin/sweat or something, but Elixirs last 4x as long, sound better for much longer, and only cost 2x as much as my uncoated favorite, Martin SP's.

As I don't have a pile of cash laying around right now and as my college group probably can't spring for alot themselves, www.webstrings.com is seeming pretty tempting. Any of you have experience with these? Are they TRULY worth it? They seem a little too good to be true (reading the testimonials on their website), but for the money, it seems like you really can't go wrong. For the cost of 1 set of Elixirs, or 2 sets of Martin SP's you can get about 5 sets of webstrings. I'm a little tempted to give it a to, but want to hear some feedback first.

Thanks ya'all!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:36 AM

Anybody??
Old 02-25-2005, 04:11 PM
OCD Certified

I have tried about 5-6 sets of their PB and 80/20. Don't like them much. The PB is ok and last a little longer but the 80/20 just grabs my fingers like mad and I hate the feel.
Overall they just don't last for me if that is important.

If you like Martin SP you might want to give stringthis.com a try. There is one report I have seen that those bulk Martin strings are Martin SP. I have no way to confirm it though.
I think I read it on the larrivee forum.
Breedlove SC25 Cedar/Walnut
Silvercreek T-160 Engleman/Mahogany
Silvercreek T-170 Engleman/Rosewood
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 02-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti
I have tried about 5-6 sets of their PB and 80/20. Don't like them much. The PB is ok and last a little longer but the 80/20 just grabs my fingers like mad and I hate the feel.
Overall they just don't last for me if that is important.

If you like Martin SP you might want to give stringthis.com a try. There is one report I have seen that those bulk Martin strings are Martin SP. I have no way to confirm it though.
I think I read it on the larrivee forum.
Tonally-speaking, what would you compare the PB's to? Martin? D'Addarrio?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:23 PM
OCD Certified

I wasn't sure if I got a bad batch of Webstring but the PB I tried just doesn't have that PB twangy sound I am used to when new and almost dull compared to Daddario PB which is kinda bright.
I have only used Martin 80/20 and it definitely has a much more solid bass tone compared to the Webstring.

Again I might have got a bad batch of webstrings. Just my experience with them.
My current favourite PB is the DR Rare Medium.
Breedlove SC25 Cedar/Walnut
Silvercreek T-160 Engleman/Mahogany
Silvercreek T-170 Engleman/Rosewood
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 02-27-2005, 09:22 PM

i have been using webstrings for five years now and have had no complaints using them. i use the memphis electric nickel wound, san diego acoustic 80/20 bronze and portland p/b's. maybe their just right for me i don't know..but i give them a thumbs up-and would try a few to see. i've played with all the top string companies products and webstrings hold up really well for my use. thanks for reading......
Old 02-28-2005, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info, I just ordered a few sets of webstrings to give them a try. I have bought a group of the bulk martins from stringthis.com and they arent too bad. A buddy of mine that ordered the same wasnt as kind, said that they seemed a lot duller sounding then the D'addarios that he usually plays. I just cant hear that as well as him, but the great thing about those strings is the arent wound up in a circle, they come straight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification