The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Noob question: Inexpensive electric-acoustic

I know this is a general question, but does anyone have any suggestions?

I've been on electric for many years and am just starting to get back into acoustic. I want something that sounds good (especially in the studio) and plays easily -- all without breaking the bank, of course.

Here are a couple I've been looking at:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAKJASES31CBK

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAEF18

Does anyone own either of these, have an opinion on which is better or have any other suggsetions? I'm looking to spend $300 max and the less expensive the better, obviously.

Let me know your suggestions. Thanks much!

J
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Me

Do you need a cutaway? Both the guitars you listed are cutaways. I would recomend that you first get a guitar, then add the pickups. The pickups in these inexpensive guitars are not that great. You can do better adding something latter like a B-Band AST/UST. Look for a solid topped guitar. I like Washburns, but there are many other nice guitars.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast response! I'd prefer a cutaway, just being used to an electric. And I'd really rather not get into the expense or skills needed for installing a pickup. Just looking for simple and affordable, but still decent quality and sound...

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Other brands to consider or stay away from? Applause/Ovation? Jasmine/Takamine? Ibanez? Etc.?

J
Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 PM

Go for the Ibanez.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the input, Aggie. I'm leaning that way -- there's something about an electric-acoustic for under $175 that seems to good to be true...

Have you played the Ibanez? I've had a few of their electrics over the years and have always been happy with them...

Anyone else wanna weigh in?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 PM

I use theOvation Balladeer about $650. I like it, but I do find myself compensating with EQ to avoid Ovation's "Tinnyness".
They make a less costly model called "Celeberty". Its not very nice, I played a couple and they just don't ring/resonate very well.
I love the cutaway -if your're an electric player you may be inconvienienced by no cutaway.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:24 PM

The too good to be true part is that neither of these guitars are solid tops.

If it were me and I was looking for a first acoustic, I'd find a solid top and forget the electronics. You can get a decent pickup for it later (either a soundhole or have one installed). Pickups aren't made for recording anyway, so don't worry about not having one unless you need to be playing through a P.A. with a backing band.

You'll be happier with the way the solid top sounds. Either way you go, make sure to spend 20-30 bucks for a setup once it arrives. You'll be much happier with the way it plays down the road.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-02-2005, 02:34 PM

You could check out some Alvarez models
03 - Taylor 414ce Rosewood/ES/Gloss
2001, 2003 & 2004 SuperBowl Champs - New England Patriots!
2004 World Champs - Boston Red Sox!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:19 PM

agree with much that's been said, first get a guitar that sounds good (solid top), several candidates in a modest price range (much discussed here, try a search on 'Seagull' and another on 'Atlas', you'll find much on those as well as other contenders). Agree with the advice to not pay extra for an a/e guitar, it probably won't sound as good unplugged and that's how you'll be playing it in the studio. Easy to add a soundhole pickup, fishman etc. later if you want to amplify it onstage. Finally, agree to think twice about the need for a cutaway, it'll generally add cost and subtract sound, and do you really like the wheedly-deedly sound of an acoustic guitar played way up high? I'm first and foremost an electric player, but with my acoustic I want the full and resonant low-midrange tones and rarely play up the neck, thus don't have a use for a cutaway, ymmv. -Guy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification