The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

For guitars that are associated with a blues/ragtime sound and look,...

In the $2-3K range, any of John How's ladder braced guitars are an excellent choice.

In the $500-600 range, the Washburn 125 anniversary model is a bargain.

If you can find one, a Martin OM-15 or the easier to find 000-15s for the mid range of $700-1000K are great choices.

That I have most of these guitars shouldn't in any way color my opinion.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Great blues have been played on many different types of guitars of all ranges of price. Archtop, dreads, grand concerts, resonators, prob even nylon strings.

My experience is that the best blues are defined by the player. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFymnrJSe8k

Buy what you like and then study from the best. YMMV

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
For guitars that are associated with a blues/ragtime sound and look,...

In the $2-3K range, any of John How's ladder braced guitars are an excellent choice.

In the $500-600 range, the Washburn 125 anniversary model is a bargain.

If you can find one, a Martin OM-15 or the easier to find 000-15s for the mid range of $700-1000K are great choices.

That I have most of these guitars shouldn't in any way color my opinion.
Nothing personal, but it kills me that folks drop $3K on a copy of a guitar that cost six bucks back then. You can find a used brass National tricone for half that, and it cost $125 when that stella cost $6. Now I know that comparison is irrelevant, and that you're buying a "custom" guitar in every sense of the word with the ladder reproductions, but a $3K stella? Really?

I picked up the 125th anniversary pictured in my post for a lot less. They are being blown out on Ebay, in some cases with "make an offer listings". Very resonant, super fun little guy! But it has the most prominent V neck I've ever played. Works for me, but if you don't like a V, stay away!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:11 PM

I used to wonder what the best blues guitar out there was, then I got my Greven L-00v. That answered it for me
Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
The "blues" is a state of mind, body, and soul, not a make/model of guitar.

I guess there are three reasons to seek out a "blues" guitar: 1.) to reproduce or mimic an original sound of the blues, or 2.) to "look" the part while performing (along with the requisite fedora of course), or 3.) both. And there's nothing wrong with any of those reasons.
As already stated, I understand that the blues is in the player, not the guitar. However, I do want both parts: I want to look authentic and sound authentic. I am not planning on becoming the next big thing, I am not going to try to revive blues, but I am going to try to be authentic to some degree out of respect for the originals. And there is something about that old sound and look that is truly remarkable. I am just hunting that feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Budget is probably the most important factor here. It would also help to know your playing style: fingerstyle, flat pick, bottleneck? Delta blues, piedmont blues, Chicago blues, etc?
I plan to play fingerpicking delta and country blues primarily. I have dabbled in Texas style, and I even give some Chicago blues a nod, but I really want to get the Lightnin' Hopkins, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson sounds. I have heard some say "hollow" blues to describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
The current (September '10) issue of Acoustic Guitar reviews several guitars in the "Blues Guitar Special." The author mentions in his review of Durango B-44 with laminated sycamore back/sides: If you're looking for a truly authentic blues sound, it's worth remembering that many 1920s and '30s bluesmen honed their chops and even recorded with instruments that would make many of today's players wish for a guitar as good as the Durango B-44.
Thanks for mentioning this. That issue of AG Magazine is the reason I posted this, because I was reading that exact article and it fueled my GAS attack.

Now, my 00-15 12-fret is something special, and seems to be close to that sound I am hunting. My dad's 1949 000-18 is awfully close too. However, neither fit that "mojo" and I am still wanting something a little more.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasonlyhuman View Post
but I really want to get the Lightnin' Hopkins, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson sounds.
Lightnin is Texas to his core. Make sure you get one of these if you really want to cop his tone when you're playing out. I have an older model, and I run it through Seymour Duncan twin tube with the gain all the way down, direct to PA. It IS Lightnin' to the bone.

Sounds more and more like you need a parlor/O with mahogany back and sides going by that "hollow" tone you're chasing. But for versatility's sake I'd still vote for a J-45 style which can be very dry and Mahogany-ish, and the shorter scale gives you that "snap" if you pull on the strings, which most people associate with smaller guitars, but a gibson scale pulls it off beautifully on a full size guitar.

Or on a flyer perhaps a mahogany top Larrivee L series? Longer scale for good slide work (my preference, not an accepted standard), Mahogany thump. Basically a slightly more sophisticated big brother to your OO-15.

Although if you want smaller body, 12 fret, etc it may be worth a visit to the Larrivee forum. They always have Forum-only special edition guitars made. And you know how that goes... People get all excited, and competitive and buy one without thinking too much, and then it turns out they didn't really want a 12 fret L with Italian spruce top, they just got swept up in the "I'm getting one too!" feeling. Lots of them have been made with Hog tops. Makes for some great deals in the for sale section
Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I am going to try to be authentic to some degree out of respect for the originals. And there is something about that old sound and look that is truly remarkable. I am just hunting that feeling.
Quote:
my 00-15 12-fret is something special, and seems to be close to that sound I am hunting. My dad's 1949 000-18 is awfully close too. However, neither fit that "mojo" and I am still wanting something a little more.
Those all-hog Martins are pretty authentic in their heritage, and that little 00 12-fret must be a delight to play. Have you tried nickel lights on it to see if it produces the hollow sound your looking for, which is what I would describe as the tone I get when I string them on my old Gibson LG-0, the nickels and ladder bracing are a nice combination that way.

I would love to know what you eventually discover that matches the sound your blues-wise ears are searching for.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Well, you might want to try a Minstrel, made by Dan Roberts, late of Santa Cruz and before that a custom builder for Gibson. The Minstrel is Dan's take on a 1940's Gibson LG-2. Here's Denny Earnest playing one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knguu...eature=related.

And being played with a slide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=posXqxTl0c0

Nice tone and for a custom, not expensive. That said, you can get a real LG-2 (sunburst finish) or LG-3 (natural finish) for about the same price, and these days, often less, or an LG-1 (ladder braced) for way less. The old LG's do have some mojo, something you won't find in a new git.

I also think a good J-45 makes a good blues guitar. Can't agree about the Santa Cruz VS version of the same guitar though. I've owned both, and the SC is a much fatter tone. You may like that, but it's a more modern sound than an old J-45 or Southern Jumbo. A nice old Gibson J-50 might be a good choice also if you don't need the sunburst finish, and their cheaper than a vintage J-45.

Not mentioned here yet is a Martin 00 or 000-17. I haven't played one yet, but I would think that would be a good choice as well. You can often find a vintage one for very reasonable prices (depending on what your version of "reasonable" is).
Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Nothing personal, but it kills me that folks drop $3K on a copy of a guitar that cost six bucks back then. You can find a used brass National tricone for half that, and it cost $125 when that stella cost $6. Now I know that comparison is irrelevant, and that you're buying a "custom" guitar in every sense of the word with the ladder reproductions, but a $3K stella? Really?

I picked up the 125th anniversary pictured in my post for a lot less. They are being blown out on Ebay, in some cases with "make an offer listings". Very resonant, super fun little guy! But it has the most prominent V neck I've ever played. Works for me, but if you don't like a V, stay away!
Actually that is a little personal,.. just to set you straight, John Hows guitars are nothing like a $6 Stella, do a little research and we'll all be good. Do you drive the cheapest car you can find?

(And) If I wanted a National tricone, I'd buy another one,... but the first one didn't suit my taste, so it's doubtful.

Third point, I bought my Washburn for a lot less too, I'm being kind to the one for sale in the classifieds.

Remember,.... different strokes.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Actually that is a little personal,.. just to set you straight, John Hows guitars are nothing like a $6 Stella, do a little research and we'll all be good. Do you drive the cheapest car you can find?

(And) If I wanted a National tricone, I'd buy another one,... but the first one didn't suit my taste, so it's doubtful.

Third point, I bought my Washburn for a lot less too, I'm being kind to the one for sale in the classifieds.

Remember,.... different strokes.
Guess you missed "you're buying a "custom" guitar in every sense of the word with the ladder reproductions" in my post...

As to the 125th anniversary pricing, you didn't mention there was one in the classifieds, but even so, saying they cost a lot more than you or I paid may be being kind to the seller in the classifieds, but ethically, I don't owe anything to that seller. The going rate is the going rate...
Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Find the one with the missing B string pole and you are REALLY authentic. These scream. Stick one in a 100 dollar Harmony H-165 (hog top) and it kills the blues. Real Lightnin' HOpkins tone.

Mainland Tenor Uke

Last edited by mstuartev; 08-08-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Guess you missed "you're buying a "custom" guitar in every sense of the word with the ladder reproductions" in my post...

As to the 125th anniversary pricing, you didn't mention there was one in the classifieds, but even so, saying they cost a lot more than you or I paid may be being kind to the seller in the classifieds, but ethically, I don't owe anything to that seller. The going rate is the going rate...
I missed nothing but your apology for being rude concerning another man's guitar choices.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
Find the one with the missing B string pole and you are REALLY authentic. These scream. Stick one in a 100 dollar Harmony H-165 (hog top) and it kills the blues

Mine is one of the older 6 pole piece models with the fat round screws. Half the head of the B screw is broken off. It also is one of the ones with the coated external wires with a full on jack attached. I can jump it from guitar to guitar. I love that old hunk of metal
Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I missed nothing but your apology for being rude concerning another man's guitar choices.
It'll come as soon as you apologize for shilling that 125th Anny... See it's all in the perspective...
Old 08-08-2010, 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=blue;2309015]Nothing personal, but it kills me that folks drop $3K on a copy of a guitar that cost six bucks back then. You can find a used brass National tricone for half that, and it cost $125 when that stella cost $6. Now I know that comparison is irrelevant, and that you're buying a "custom" guitar in every sense of the word with the ladder reproductions, but a $3K stella? Really?
[QUOTE]

Lordy, gotta admit I was thinking the same thing (although when the Tricones came out they were only around $65.00).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion