The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2016, 09:29 PM

Default Ca ox

Had a chance to play a Composite Acoustics OX today for the first time. I liked it. Anybody have any experience with this model? I have a Cargo I really like, and just sold a Seagull S6 because I felt the body was too big. Looking for a CF to replace the Seagull, with a body size between the S6 and the Cargo. Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 11:15 PM

There are guys on here that are more familiar with Emerald and CA guitars, but something between a Cargo and Seagull S6? Hmm... I'm thinking Rainsong Shorty or Emerald X20
Old 11-17-2016, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Just sold a 2015 CA ox. Nice guitar and a nice size in-between a Cargo and full size GX model.

I will say after discovering the Emerald x20 I sold off all my other carbon guitars as I find the Emerald way more to my liking in every category.

Nothing wrong with the other guitars I just really love the sound, size and playability of the X20.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-17-2016, 06:58 AM

Ox raw was my first full size CF guitar. Bought after falling in love with my cargo raw for travel. Great guitar with nice warm sound and ergonomics. Liked the neck also.... Ultimately wound of selling both and am a Rainsong guy these days ...
Old 11-17-2016, 11:31 AM

My local store (Boise) has a decent selection of CA guitars, with 4-5 on display and 20 or so in the warehouse.

I have a Rainsong WS-1000, a new Blackbird Lucky 13, and a two year old CA Cargo (painted). So I look but usually don't play on my visits to the store. When I have played them, they are nice. I like the RAW finish, but my wife prefers the painted / glossy ones.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM

I didn't get rid of my S6, but I got a RainSong Concert OM with a 12-fret neck, and now I almost never play the Seagull any more. I love this guitar.

You'll find a lot of happy RainSong customers here on the forum. Their WS body size is also smaller than a dread. And I believe either a 14-fret or 12-fret neck is available on all of their models except the Parlor, which only comes in a 12.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:09 PM

I keep my pre Peavy OX at work in my office and consider it a "keeper". Very even balanced tone across the fretboard, nice size, and I like the neck profile. I got an Ebay deal on a Peavy OX and figured it would be nice to have an identical guitar at home. In spite of the dimensions being the same, it played like a different model guitar. I sold it to a traveling musician who had a history of beating and destroying his guitars. He loves it.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:23 AM

Default Ox

My OX was my first CF guitar. Great warm "wood like " sound. Raw finish vibrates with great sustain. For the money, a great guitar that is easy to hold. This summer, I added an Emerald X20 to the family. This guitar is in a class by itself. The tone is rich and piano like that is tough to put down. The workmanship is flawless. Each has it's own sound, but because of the soundhole directed at the player, it gives a level of self awareness that helps you enhance your playing technique. I look at my OX as a strummer and my X20 as my finger style. I highly recommend each for different reasons.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Guest 928

The Cargo was my first CF guitar, the Ox was my second. I liked them both but sold them both in order to move into my preferred instruments, nylon string guitars.

The Ox is particularly nice. It is comfortable, it is a good all-around instrument, it plows the field of music nicely. I sold it to a friend of mine who gave up a martin in favor of the CA. He, in turn, passed the guitar along to his son who is a music prodigy. In short, the Ox has turned into a family heirloom.

I would take an X20 over an Ox but that's a matter of personal taste and an overt liking for Emerald instruments.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 PM

Default Ca ox

Thank you all for your responses and insights, very much appreciated. I know there are plenty of Rainsong and Emerald fans on the forum. I have been curious about the X7. The X20 I feel might have too large a body for my liking. The CA OX is a little smaller I believe. Played a few Rainsongs last week but would prefer an instrument without electronics and I don't think Rainsong makes any. So probably an Emerald X7 or a CA OX. Or, failing that, stick with my Cargo for a while.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that your dealer can order any Rainsong model without electronics. Most only stock the electrified version.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm pretty sure that your dealer can order any Rainsong model without electronics. Most only stock the electrified version.
That is correct, my Shorty was special ordered without electronics from MacNichol G&M before they closed shop. RainSong will make them.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM

I would also suggest trying the CA GX---sooo comfortable with a big sound! Feels about the size of an OM. The contours make it really easy to hold and play. I also have a Cargo that I love but I wanted a bigger sound for playing live.

For the record, I haven't tried any of the other cf guitars.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 12-23-2016, 02:08 PM

Default X20 is very comfortable and a bit smaller than the S6

I can highly recommend the X20 from a comfort level. I have been playing an S6 for the last year and just purchased an X20. The S6 was pretty good, but not the most comfortable guitar to play unless I was standing. The X20 is really nice seated or standing. Unfortunately I do not care for the brassy tone of the X20 and am now looking for a different, hopefully CF guitar with a warmer tone.

Based on the comments from other posts I will definitely look at an OX. I played a cargo once and really liked the sound although the size was not what I was looking for. May have to revisit that since the X20 did not work out.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I seem to remember one of the contributors to the now defunct MacNichol Carbon Guitar Forum, I think it was jonfields45, who had a CA OX and found it kind of small and he bought a guitar-lift of some sort to bring it to his preferred playing position when seated. He posted a photo of himself with the CA OX being supported by the lift device which rested on his thigh. Jon posts to AGF and maybe he'll offer some thoughts on the size and playing comfort of the OX.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-23-2016 at 03:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber