The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 PM

Default 48 Gibson J-45 Neck Reset...Which Luthier to take it to

I have a 48 Gibson J-45 that needs a neck reset. My question is who to take it to? I live in NC but have a place in Nashville, Tn. What would be a fair price for a late 40's J45 neck reset? I have heard that some charge more for Gibson's than Martins because there is more work involved. I really want someone that has done more than one or two old Gibson's and that has a good reputation.

Thanks so much!

Curtis Collins

1943 Banner Gibson J-45
1936 Gibson Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-30 Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-35
Fairbanks F-20 Nick Lucas
Kevin Kopp K-35
Martin D-18 Golden Era
VoyageAir VAD-2
Old 07-14-2016, 10:46 PM

If your able to post this at the UMGF you will probably get more feedback to your question.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:21 AM

They are more expensive on average than Martin's due to the fact that the joint is finished over on Gibson's and not on martins.The one I just completed last month was just under $900 which included resetting the neck, refretting, new bone nut and saddle and all finish touch up work.

The age of your instrument could affect this price. Being that old it may have had a neck job done already and depending on who did it and how well it was done , this can complicate neck removal this time around.

While I am not in either area you mention I would be happy to do the job for you.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM

Call Chris Bozung of CB guitars in Fairview TN he can and will do excellent work

Telephone - 615-799-9217

Postal address - 7151 New Hope Road, Fairview TN 37062

Electronic mail - General Information: [email protected]

Dave
Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
They are more expensive on average than Martin's due to the fact that the joint is finished over on Gibson's and not on martins.The one I just completed last month was just under $900 which included resetting the neck, refretting, new bone nut and saddle and all finish touch up work.
Which I would assume would also include a complete set up, no?

OP, keep in mind that a neck reset is often accompanied by other work as well, some related to the reset, other work not related necessarily but needed. For instance, I had a 1949 Southern Jumbo done a few years ago by Dennis Berck in Eugene, OR. for around $1600. In addition to what Brian Howard lists above, work included bridge plate repair, binding repair, filling in of fretboard divots in the cowboy chord positions, disassemble and clean/repair original tuners and reinstall, and I'm sure some other things that I've since forgotten. So, cost depends on who does the work, what all needs to be done, and where in the country your luthier is located (costs can vary by region).

I would highly recommend Dennis to do the work, but for you that would mean shipping the guitar. It's done often (Dennis gets vintage guitars shipped to him from all over the country and Europe all the time).

I'm probably mistaken, but I do think John Arnold is located somewhere in your region. I really don't think you could do better. He's a member here so look him up. At the very least he might be able to recommend someone to you.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post

The age of your instrument could affect this price. Being that old it may have had a neck job done already and depending on who did it and how well it was done , this can complicate neck removal this time around.

While I am not in either area you mention I would be happy to do the job for you.
Thank you so much Howard! I appreciate it.

Curt

1943 Banner Gibson J-45
1936 Gibson Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-30 Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-35
Kevin Kopp K-35
Martin D-18 Golden Era
VoyageAir VAD-2
Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
Which I would assume would also include a complete set up, no?

OP, keep in mind that a neck reset is often accompanied by other work as well, some related to the reset, other work not related necessarily but needed. For instance, I had a 1949 Southern Jumbo done a few years ago by Dennis Berck in Eugene, OR. for around $1600. In addition to what Brian Howard lists above, work included bridge plate repair, binding repair, filling in of fretboard divots in the cowboy chord positions, disassemble and clean/repair original tuners and reinstall, and I'm sure some other things that I've since forgotten. So, cost depends on who does the work, what all needs to be done, and where in the country your luthier is located (costs can vary by region).

I would highly recommend Dennis to do the work, but for you that would mean shipping the guitar. It's done often (Dennis gets vintage guitars shipped to him from all over the country and Europe all the time).

I'm probably mistaken, but I do think John Arnold is located somewhere in your region. I really don't think you could do better. He's a member here so look him up. At the very least he might be able to recommend someone to you.

Good luck.
I understand. So usually when you are there getting it done, might as well get everything done. I don't have any issues like that, but probably will need a set up and maybe nut and bridge...so just need to remember that. Thanks everyone for your help.
Curt

1943 Banner Gibson J-45
1936 Gibson Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-30 Roy Smeck
Fairbanks F-35
Kevin Kopp K-35
Martin D-18 Golden Era
VoyageAir VAD-2
Old 07-16-2016, 10:26 PM

Curtis,

I am located halfway between Asheville and Knoxville. PM me for info about price and turnaround time.
IMHO, the price quoted for a reset should at least include a new bone saddle and fret leveling.

John
Old 07-19-2016, 02:28 PM

I would recommend either Brian or John, both do excellent work.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair