The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Default New fiddle day

So I have been on the hunt for a violin for quite some time, going back and forth on my first violin. I am currently renting a very uninspiring violin and am tired of paying the fees. Ideally, I would have wanted something well used with some visual character. This, however, turned out to be a tough task where I live and the forums weren't much help. Also, I couldn't truly test an old fiddle to know how good it was because my skills wouldn't do it any justice...

Anyway, I finally settled on the Cricket violin made by the magic fluke company (the uke maker). It has an Adirondack top, compressed laminate fingerboard, and "plastic" back. It has a built in and adjustable shoulder/chin rest, an a bband pickup with an internal battery. It's marketed as a travel violin but was based off a 17th century pocket violin used at dances designed to fit in a coat pocket. Either way, it is fun and should be a great starter to get me going. It is a little quieter than a full size but that is good (according to my wife) for learning, but really comes alive through the pickup. I plan to continue my hunt for a true fiddle in a few years as my skills and ear improve, but I can highly recommend this American made product as a good alternate to a Chinese made starter. And I'll have a travel violin down the line...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 05-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Flukes are not toy instruments.My Uke has proven to be indestructible. I didn't know they made these. Very cool.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Wow, neat!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments