The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Default Rainsong Hybrid vs Classic

SO a couple of weeks ago I got the opportunity to visit Ted in LA Guitar sales. I played Classic Carbon and a Hybrid Rainsongs. My first time even touching a non-wood guitar. I was pleasantly surprised from the sound out of both but really leaned towards the Hybrid. Most say the Classic has more punch and bass tones, but I found that to be the opposite. Has anyone else played both back to back? My head tries to tell me that the Hybrid is made with cheaper material and its so they can offer an "entry level" product, but my ears tell me different. Chime in here with your inputs!
Old 03-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

I prefer the Classic because its all-carbon construction makes the tone more lively and sparkling like there's another dimension that's opened-up to my ears. I think the Hybrid gets its tone from not having as much going on in the tonal spectrum as a Classic. Some folks prefer this as it imparts, perhaps, a warmer tone than is heard from a Classic. For me, if I'm playing carbon, I want carbon tone all the way.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Default Good Point

Spruce Top, Good point. You seem to prefer the "true" carbon and other carbon guitars that I have tried have great sound. I mainly use the guitar with my vocals in small venues plugged into my amp. My current guitar is Gibson SJ-200 and I never thought I would ever consider a carbon acoustic guitar, but here I am considering this purchase.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM

I have a WS-1000 all carbon, and recently sold a hybrid PMJ-1100 to a friend. The tone was not all that different to me - both were pretty darn good. My friend fell in love with the PMJ during a recent visit and in particular liked its narrower 1-11/16" neck width (something that I considered a drawback). Since she lives in Arizona, I sold it to her while there so that she would not have to worry about humidity care.

The hybrid guitars use a less expensive fiberglass material on the back & sides (instead of all carbon fiber) to reduce the price point, but it does not make for an inferior guitar. I would not call it "cheaper", just different, and by no means entry level. Some say the hybrid back & sides warms up the tone a bit compared to pure carbon and its crystalline tone. You could change the tone more with string selection, IMO.

With several nice Taylors now (and having sold several Martins over the years) I'm at the point of actively downsizing and selling wood guitars. The only guitars that I will consider buying from now on will be low-maintenance CF, not wood.

You got to play both yourself side by side, which is a fairly rare opportunity. Trust your ear and your hands, which are much more important than any forum opinion from a stranger. If the hybrid speaks to you, go for it.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Default Thanks!

Heh Earl thanks for the encouragement. As bad as I hate to say it I'm very tempted to sell the Gibson SJ-200 and but 2 carbon acoustics! and the Gibson was almost a $5k guitar!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 PM

I prefer the hybrid. It is not as bright sounding and closer to what I want to hear.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-01-2016, 05:08 PM

While the SJ-200 is certainly a fine guitar, Gibson's are just not my thing. Cannot even explain why exactly. I started out in the Martin world, and I'm solidly in the Taylor camp now (because their necks feel better to my aging hand). And I've often said that if the house caught fire, I'd grab the Rainsong on the way out and let the wood guitars fend for themselves.

You could do a lot worse than getting a WS-1000 or its hybrid brother the H-WS1000N2. Then add a Blackbird Lucky 13 to cover the small body L-00 vibe in CF if you feel the need for second CF guitar. Those two would cover a lot of tonal ground. Rainsong also makes great smaller body guitars to such as the Parlor, or short scale / 12-fret models like the Smoky hybrid SMH (as Ted can attest). The Lucky 13 is the one calling to me, although I really liked the Smoky too the one time I got to play one. The general opinion around AGF is that Smoky is a great guitar - once you dump those black-coated strings it comes with. Hope this helps, rather than muddying the waters.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:07 PM

I got to play the 2 WS Rainsongs, Rainsong Parlor the Blackbird Lucky 13, Blackbird Super OM. I had not seen a Super OM in person or played one until then and to tell you the truth in photos I did not like it. In person and in the hand I loved it. Loved the neck, loved the sound, loved the design and at this point it is probably the first CF that I will buy. I am waiting for Ted to get in a Smokey and I want to play it also before I make my final choice. I also am really interested in playing the Journey OF660 as a back up guitar and travel, Ted has those too but I just didn't get the chance to play it too.
The Super OM just has my attention now and I think it will take a lot to steer me away from that, but I do want to give the Smokey a chance.
After years of sitting on the sidelines I think I'm ready to go again and inspired with the new equipment out there.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:17 AM

You might want to see if you can try the Rainsong Shorty. It's got an OM body, but it does have the unidirectional all-carbon top (which is supposed to be warmer) and hybrid back and sides.

I believe it's their most popular model.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:18 AM

I own a Shorty and have played a used JM1000 (Rainsong Classic Jumbo) at a local GC. The Jumbo was impressive and had the old N1 neck with all carbon construction. I did like it more than I thought I would because it was surprisingly comfortable for a jumbo and sat on my lap, something you might really appreciate owning a super jumbo right now. They also make this guitar in the concert series (unidirectional top with full carbon b/s).

I'm primarily a fingerstyle player, so the Shorty won out for me with the OM body and 12 fret design. Paired with the hybrid b/s you get a very responsive little guitar with a sweet tone- I wouldn't call it warm, but definitely sweet and intimate and that is more what I'm looking for.

To my ear, there wasn't much difference in build material, not even the variation I hear between rosewood and mahogany wood guitars. I agree with with others are saying here, I'm convinced that you will be more affected/ impressed upon regarding body choice and string choice than build material-. I'm still on the search for the perfect strings but that is all part of the fun

The perfect guitar is out there, just try as many as you can. Good luck!

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-02-2016 at 08:59 AM. Reason: took something out and added something in

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber