The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 AM

Default Praise for the Blackbird Rider

Hi, new to the forum. Been playing for about 30 years now, and I have had my fine share of Martin's and Taylor's, but this guitar has blown me away.

For years I was searching for a great travel guitar, and was just looking to buy strings, when I wandered into Carmine Street guitars in NYC.

It was sitting there, looking like the ugliest thing in the world, But after picking it up and playing it, I could not put it down. First Carbon guitar I have ever played.

The guitar is so wonderful to play with, so comfortable, sounds so great, that I want to recommend it to everyone.

Last edited by Mike Mandel; 02-06-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Guest 928

Mike;

Congratulations, Blackbird guitars are marvels. I've owned three Blackbird instruments and each one was unique and sweet.

If you hang around this forum you will find that Blackbird is one of several remarkable carbon fiber instrument makers, joined by Rainsong, Emerald, and CA/Peavey. A new company, Journey, has also entered the field with a travel cf guitar. Lots of choices here and they are all good.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Mike;

Congratulations, Blackbird guitars are marvels. I've owned three Blackbird instruments and each one was unique and sweet.

If you hang around this forum you will find that Blackbird is one of several remarkable carbon fiber instrument makers, joined by Rainsong, Emerald, and CA/Peavey. A new company, Journey, has also entered the field with a travel cf guitar. Lots of choices here and they are all good.
Do you have the Lucky 13? I fell so much in love with the Rider, I want to try that one.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Welcome to the forum, Mike, and congrats on discovering the Rider. I bought my Rider the year they were introduced, at the time Blackbird had a very long wait, but I found one on eBay. The seller bought it for a trip, than put it up for sale at full price. I hit buy now without hesitation and have traveled with the guitar ever since.

BTW, I used to collect travel guitars, and still have well over a dozen, but the Rider is still the one I reach for when traveling. Oh, and the guy I bought my Rider from, as it turned out, he actually bought a new Rider from me after we became Blackbird dealers, and he's planning to hang on to that one.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Welcome to the forum, Mike, and congrats on discovering the Rider. I bought my Rider the year they were introduced, at the time Blackbird had a very long wait, but I found one on eBay. The seller bought it for a trip, than put it up for sale at full price. I hit buy now without hesitation and have traveled with the guitar ever since.

BTW, I used to collect travel guitars, and still have well over a dozen, but the Rider is still the one I reach for when traveling. Oh, and the guy I bought my Rider from, as it turned out, he actually bought a new Rider from me after we became Blackbird dealers, and he's planning to hang on to that one.
I am probably the last one to the party. I had never thought about CFs before I played this.

If the measure of a great guitar is how long you keep it in your hands after you pick it up, then this is a winner.

I'll sit down to play for a few minutes, and find I've been on the couch for hours. The combination of size and weight is truly amazing. It really becomes another appendage, the most comfortable thing I have ever played
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Mike, welcome to the world of CF guitars. I hope you realize that you have just opened and walked through a door that will lead to an interesting and exciting journey just as relevant as that for wood guitars. Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Mike, welcome to the world of CF guitars. I hope you realize that you have just opened and walked through a door that will lead to an interesting and exciting journey just as relevant as that for wood guitars. Enjoy the ride.
NEVER took them seriously until I played this, now I'm in a proselytizing mood!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mandel View Post
NEVER took them seriously until I played this, now I'm in a proselytizing mood!
Unfortunately, this is the case for the vast majority of traditional guitar players. Good on ya for being open-minded. Lots to discover.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM

Now you'll have to start conversations with "Hi, I'm Mike and I am a CFoholic:
Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Hey Mike,
Your story is similar to many others that give fate a chance.
Congratulations.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-05-2016, 01:31 PM

I bought the Rider sight unseen from MacNichol about 18 months ago. I love it! It's the perfect guitar to have in "ready mode" at all times - no fumbling with a case, no humidity and temperature control worries! When I do get out my wood guitars, I love the sound of them too, but there's something special about the Rider. Welcome to the Forum.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:47 PM

Hi Mike,
The Blackbird Rider is a great guitar! I like them so much I have three: 2 steel string (one old voice, one new voice) and a nylon. While many of you consider them travel guitars I use them as my all around guitar. Every time I play out it is usually with a Blackbird Rider in hand.
Barb
Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi Mike,
The Blackbird Rider is a great guitar! I like them so much I have three: 2 steel string (one old voice, one new voice) and a nylon. While many of you consider them travel guitars I use them as my all around guitar. Every time I play out it is usually with a Blackbird Rider in hand.
Barb
Barb, sorry what do you mean by "Old Voice", "new voice", has the guitar been updated since it came out?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:15 PM

Mike,
Yes, Joe changed the voice of the original Rider. If you have the Rider with the silver fret markers on the fretboard it is the newer voice. They are both beautiful voices.
Barb
Old 02-05-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Mike,
Yes, Joe changed the voice of the original Rider. If you have the Rider with the silver fret markers on the fretboard it is the newer voice. They are both beautiful voices.
Barb
Have the Silver frets, must be the newer. Been so enthralled, haven't even plugged it in yet to test the pickup.

Just curious, what was changed, voice wise?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber