The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Doesn't this post belong here?

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=Olson

Congratulations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Here's a last recording before receiving my maple SJ from Jim -- my arrangement of a popular song called "海韻" ("Rhythm Of The Sea") which was originally performed by Taiwanese superstar 鄧麗君 (aka Teresa Teng) in the 1970s.

https://youtu.be/Mh4eectcx9g

Thank you for listening.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Doesn't this post belong here?

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=Olson

Congratulations...
Thanks, Bob.

I didn't want to revive that thread until I have something exciting to show. Soon...
Old 09-11-2015, 08:29 AM

Awesome as always !!

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 09-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Thanks, Mau....very contemplative and easy on the ears! Don't know if anyone has asked you.....what favorite capo do you find yourself using on these songs. It looks like it works well in holding both crisp tone and intonation....of course you've got the Olson working for you too!
Regards,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-11-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Awesome as always !!

John
Thank you, John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thanks, Mau....very contemplative and easy on the ears! Don't know if anyone has asked you.....what favorite capo do you find yourself using on these songs. It looks like it works well in holding both crisp tone and intonation....of course you've got the Olson working for you too!
Regards,
Fred
Hey Fred,

I think the key is to find a capo that's a good fit with your guitar and your playing situations. They all serve a purpose -- and once properly adjusted they all do a good job.

Kysers are very practical for live performers who need quick changes -- but if you Google how to adjust the tension of a Kyser capo the first hit is a 5-minute video...

I own a Shubb which was the "best" I could afford when I was a teenager -- but I'm not a fan of the design at all. Having to adjust the tension before putting the capo on leaves too much room for incremental guesses. And should you be in a hurry and overdo it, you'll pull the strings out of tune. On top of that, this capo is not particularly convenient for live performers so it offers no real benefit IMHO.

At some point I upgraded to the early version of the G7th capo. It worked reasonably well -- but it was heavy and didn't look right on an acoustic guitar... I haven't tried the latest versions -- but I also think the G7th design was not ideal as you can't precisely adjust the exact tension that you want (there are little increments in the mechanism). But it was a good compromise so I used this live quite a bit. I have since given this to a friend of mine.

All of this to say that I now use an Elliott capo. The tension can be finely adjusted while the capo is on the guitar -- which means you get it right every time. They look good, they work well, and they're made in the US. I wouldn't use anything else.

Thanks for listening as always. Hope you have a great day.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM

Thanks so much for the info, Mau....great to learn more on this from your experience/perspective. I really appreciate your time in answering this. Most of my stuff is with capo, so it has a lot of relevance for me personally.
Yes, will promise to enjoy the day!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM

I recently posted this in "Show & Tell" but I'd like to document my latest piece on this thread as well.

I often use a capo to obtain a "music box" type of sound -- but here I wanted to use the full range of the guitar. Despite the heavier use of effects, the natural sound of the guitar still comes through -- rich and well defined bass, rumbling mids and clear but thick trebles... I love my SJ more and more with every day that goes by.

Here's "Whispering Echoes II", a follow-up to the original piece which I wrote a few months ago.

Thank you for listening.

https://youtu.be/AHkZDY06JtE

Old 10-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Thanks so very much for sharing your music with us Mau. What a wonderful piece. Your songs take me to another place every time I listen. Very special.

And I couldn't agree more ... the Olson is sounding really good! Can't wait to hear the blonde.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:29 PM

Salut Mau, I missed your Rhythm of the Sea clip previously but have just enjoyed it and Whispering Echoes II before diving into work. They both wonderful.... hmmm, I wonder if they'd sound even better in mmmmmaple???

All the best, Berf
Old 10-19-2015, 04:55 PM

I listened to this when you shared it on Facebook, again last night night when I was dicing sweet potatoes for the week, and again this morning on the way to school. I can't tell you how much I love the tone in this one. It's so . . . inviting. It's hard to describe, but that's the effect it has on me. I'd love to hear a mix of this that isn't as wet just to hear even more of the guitar.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Thanks so very much for sharing your music with us Mau. What a wonderful piece. Your songs take me to another place every time I listen. Very special.

And I couldn't agree more ... the Olson is sounding really good! Can't wait to hear the blonde.
Thank you, Dennis. I'm not sure whether it's the guitar, the strings or just me but I feel like there's even more overtones than before. Oh well. Maybe I'm just hearing things...

I've owned this guitar for nearly two years now and couldn't be happier with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Salut Mau, I missed your Rhythm of the Sea clip previously but have just enjoyed it and Whispering Echoes II before diving into work. They both wonderful.... hmmm, I wonder if they'd sound even better in mmmmmaple???

All the best, Berf
Thanks, Berf. I think you enjoyed the pieces mostly because you didn't want to start working...

I try not to overdo Chinese pop song covers (not good for my image) but I wanted to record something special for my friends in Taiwan.

A few more days and the maple SJ will be here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I listened to this when you shared it on Facebook, again last night night when I was dicing sweet potatoes for the week, and again this morning on the way to school. I can't tell you how much I love the tone in this one. It's so . . . inviting. It's hard to describe, but that's the effect it has on me. I'd love to hear a mix of this that isn't as wet just to hear even more of the guitar.
Thanks so much, James.

This was my very first take and I expected it to be a bit of a warm up and wasn't playing "seriously". I actually played much softer than originally intended but ended up liking the tone so I kept the take.

I will occasionally post "dry" recordings -- but for a piece named "Whispering Echoes" that would be more difficult unless I change the title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merci, Tom!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
This was my very first take and I expected it to be a bit of a warm up and wasn't playing "seriously". I actually played much softer than originally intended but ended up liking the tone so I kept the take.
I can't wait until I warm up like you
Old 10-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Just made my lunch break so much more interesting!!!!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing this one. I really enjoyed this piece.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop