The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Keep in mind that it may have potential and just need a setup but it may also not be what you like.

A good shop can make the difference. Dave's is a day trip from me so I can actually see and touch all that goodness. I see their stock can share Gibson's often craptacular work with files and finish but it is set up well compared to Guitar Center stock or when Best Buy was a Gibson retailer.

At least you got to know the basic feel of one.

Keep in mind the famous models that have been around for decades have variations from different eras with neck profile and fret size being big ones.

Have fun with your learning!
Please see the point I highlighted in bold font. This is absolutely true. I see a bunch of "inconsistent Gibson", buy something more consistent, etc. posts here that show they weren't even addressing the OP's issue.

Hold on. Gibson Les Paul's have been made with every neck shape, thickness, fret size, pickup, etc. that you can think of. They know some want the thinner 60 neck and others want a tree trunk.

If you want a Les Paul, don't go buy a Taylor (I have several Taylors, love them and am a fan, but they are not Les Paul's nor are any of the other suggestions). Find a store with a good selection of Gibson Les Paul's and take your time getting the feel of what you like. Play them and find the pickups you like (yes, they come with a choice of pickups too). Do this, and you stand a great chance of finding a really good guitar that you will enjoy.

Have fun!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
Well, Bob, that IS interesting! I just want to know who would tune to overshoot then tunes down?! I've never heard such silliness!

Francis
I've hear live album from the '70s where I can hear a guitarist tuning down to pitch. I'm always thinking, "You'll be sorrrrryyyy!"

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

there's no bending or playing going on at all. the guitar won't tune. can't even get started. i know how to tune a guitar and there's something wrong with this one. doesn't matter anyway, i'm returning it.never had a problem like this in over 40 yrs of playing and actually started on electric when i began. the store has a great return policy so all is good. its not the end of the world, just bought a guitar i don't like. i will check them out locally. thanks for all the input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars