The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Talk me out of getting an electric (or talk me into it)

Every now and then I get frustrated with my skill level and seem to turn to other instruments for solace. I have a couple of banjos which I love; have had a couple of mandolins which I resented and sold. Occasionally the diversity brings much inspiration - in one instance I branched out to resonators and am thrilled that I did.

Playing last night, I found myself kind of bored or frustrated with the same stuff I've been playing for months. I started fantasizing about other sounds. Electric sounds. I've honestly only ever picked up an electric a couple of times in my life and didn't quite know what to do. I don't know how to play with a pick, which I think is somewhat mandatory, and I'm terrified of the rabbit hole of effects pedals, amps and all the crap I'll "need" to buy just like the stable of acoustic guitars I convinced myself that I "needed" along the way.

I'm aware that this is the ACOUSTIC guitar forum, but I can't be the only one to tangle with this issue.

Any advice? Do I pull the trigger on a telecaster, maybe an Airline? or do I pick up my beloved 000-17SM and plow through the storm?
A few Telecasters
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Ever listen to Roy Rogers?

This one: http://www.roy-rogers.com/

Put on a pickup, and turn it up!

Regarding picks: Jeff Beck doesn't use 'em.

Should you do it? Of course.

Follow me down that rat hole. I started playing acoustic and electric guitars 40+ years ago, and have enjoyed/resented it ever since. Far better players than me committed to a single instrument. I play a lot of instruments well, but I've often wondered how that path could have been different.

George
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Get one, I have a few and don't have to use a pick with them either. Electrics are a lot of fun and that means that you also get to buy an amp or several!

2014 Pono OP-10DC
2013 Martin 0015M
60's Harmony Stella
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM

While I am more partial to Les Pauls and humbuckers, American Standard Telecastors are great value, as are Strats - all true classics. Gibsin has more and more increased its Studio line of lower cost LPs, et. al.

I don't tangle with the issue at all, I have had plenty of electrics (and a few amps) and tend to swing back and forth between those I have left and acoustics.

One thing to be aware of is the feel of string gauges - Fenders are usually 9s, Gibson LPs, 10s - it makes a difference when coming over from 12s & 13s.
I found myself loading them up with heavier to keep the feel more consistent - the Gibson's shorter scale seem better for this (ie a nice Les Paul!)

So as always - try a bunch of em, buy a quality brand, and be sure to grab a nice small tube amp, too.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM

There are some things that you just can't play on acoustic, only an electric guitar and some boost (gain , overdrive, distortion, whatever your pleasure) can provide. But be warned, chasing those tones can get very expensive.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Of course you should get one. The basic techniques are so different, it can't help but make you better on your acoustic. Because you will have more control. Over dynamics and muting primarily. Things you really don't have to worry about so much on acoustic suddenly are key to sounding even passable on electric. But when you DO apply them to acoustic, you really can hear the difference. Being in control of when notes stop, and the dynamics and attack of each note really are what separate the average from the good.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Talking

Take a telecaster and a fender combo and have fun !!!!

Greetz, moccaguitar

http://www.youtube.com/user/moccaguitar
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesop View Post
Every now and then I get frustrated with my skill level and seem to turn to other instruments for solace. I have a couple of banjos which I love; have had a couple of mandolins which I resented and sold. Occasionally the diversity brings much inspiration - in one instance I branched out to resonators and am thrilled that I did.

Playing last night, I found myself kind of bored or frustrated with the same stuff I've been playing for months. I started fantasizing about other sounds. Electric sounds. I've honestly only ever picked up an electric a couple of times in my life and didn't quite know what to do. I don't know how to play with a pick, which I think is somewhat mandatory, and I'm terrified of the rabbit hole of effects pedals, amps and all the crap I'll "need" to buy just like the stable of acoustic guitars I convinced myself that I "needed" along the way.

I'm aware that this is the ACOUSTIC guitar forum, but I can't be the only one to tangle with this issue.

Any advice? Do I pull the trigger on a telecaster, maybe an Airline? or do I pick up my beloved 000-17SM and plow through the storm?
I say do it, just don't go crazy.... My electrics don't get much play but they are fun to pull out every once in a while. I also play almost exclusively with my fingers. I just like the dynamics and freedom, I also know the limitations it imposes. When I do play my Strat it's usually with my fingers except when I'm playing with a band of course them I'm using a pick regardless if it's acoustic or electric... My EVH Wolfgang stays in its case. Always wanted an Eddie Van Halen signature model, got it and it just does nothing for me. I'll probably sell it soon.

Regarding using a pick: A lot of singer-songriters finger pick, Josh Ritter said it best in an interview "When you're by yourself with your guitar you want dynamics and playing with your fingers gives you a lot of control you are the whole rhythm section.... With a band it's different... I had to teach myself to use a pick".

I say go with something setup will without low action but not so low you can't get your fingers in there. My preference with electric guitars is Stratocaster style, lots of good choices to pick from below $500. I went with a Classic Vibe 60s model with rosewood fretboard, it has good electronics for the price (Alnico III pickups, usual found on more expensive models). Fender has a really cool new Classic Vibe model they announced last month commemorating their 60th Anniversary. I'd take a look at that one and buy a few picks while you're at it. It's never too late to learn to use one... I keep trying.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Why overthink it? it's a guitar.

Get a good one and a good amp and you'll have plenty of tones, no need to worry about obsessing over little boxes. Play with your fingers--never hurt Jeff Beck or Lindsey Buckingham...

People over here always think of electric as a "different instrument." I find that laughable. Go to an electric-centric forum and you'll see most folks have an acoustic too--they see them as different colors in a pallete, which is a uch better analogy as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I love electric. I even wrote up a little guide to choosing your first electric over on my site, HERE.

Remember that the amp is a big part of the sound equation. And enjoy!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM

well, a guitar is a guitar. you can branch out and the difference may spur you on. you'll still have the other equipment you own that you can play when the muse sparks you. variety is the spice of life.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Guest 1928

Sure, this is the place to have someone talk you out of buying a guitar.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Default get an electric

Although I may be talking you into an electric here is my response. I started primarily into electrics and then migrated to acoustics. I find it's great to own both and switch between electric and acoustic to keep it fresh.

While it is true you can spend a lot of money chasing tone through stomp boxes, I've found quality electrics to be less expensive than quality acoustics, and haven't gotten sucked into the box hunt. I want to explore the raw tones my electric, my amp and I can produce together without a lot of extra electric mumbo jumbo. Try it out. You can do a lot without all the boxes. I play a Les Paul through a Peavy Classic 30 and you can get a lot of tones just with this simple set up that range form vintage rock to metal to blues to finger picking acoustic tones.

You haven't asked for purchase advice but others have chimed in, so I will too. Right now Epiphone is producing some high quality Les Paul models that tonally rival (as good as or better than) their Gibby couterparts. Check out the Epi LP 60's Tribute +: AAA flamed tops, true Gibson pups (classic and one ?), grover locking tuners, split vs parallel coil processing. Or.... the Epi LP Prophecy Custom GX: AAA+ Quilted Tops, uncapped (hot) gibby pups, locking tuners, minimally radiused (flat) bound finger board for better string bending, huge abalone fret markers. Both these models can be had for around $700 or less and you won't regret not having a Gibson. I own a Gibby LP Trad Pro II but after buying my first 60's tribute, I immediately bought a second in a different color as it played and sounded better than my Gibby. I'm sorry to say, my Gibby LP doesn't get much attention. I found some deep discounts on a Peavey 30 classic amp (unboxed for display at some big guitar expo but never used or plugged in) on the net and have not found myself needing a box. Still exploring the tonal possibilities of the guitar and amp.

Get and Play both electric and acoustic IMO. Variety is the spice of life.

John
Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Why overthink it? it's a guitar.

Get a good one and a good amp and you'll have plenty of tones, no need to worry about obsessing over little boxes. Play with your fingers--never hurt Jeff Beck or Lindsey Buckingham...

People over here always think of electric as a "different instrument." I find that laughable. Go to an electric-centric forum and you'll see most folks have an acoustic too--they see them as different colors in a pallete, which is a uch better analogy as far as I'm concerned.
Good points.

I love electric as much as acoustic.

Thanks for reminding both are guitars. I think of the differences like my wife and I have different vehicles, or like my biking and skiing cover different segments of the same sport. At the core it's all driving, biking or skiing.

OP should head to the Electric section here. TDPRI is a site great for covering a lot not covered at this mostly acoustic site and shares being a polite community. It's way beyond being a Telecaster site like this is way beyond being a Taylor site....

Have fun.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I love electric. I even wrote up a little guide to choosing your first electric over on my site, HERE.

Remember that the amp is a big part of the sound equation. And enjoy!

Bob
Nice little guide. Thanks

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars