The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Do You Own or Have Experience with the Guild Starfire IV?

Per a previous post, I'm hoping to purchase a hollow body or semi hollow body electric in the very near future. My preferences in that first post were leaning towards the Fender Thinline Telecaster, Gretsch Electromatic 5420 series, and some of the Ibanez Artstar models.

It's been recommended to me to also take a look at the latest Guild Starfire IV now being manufactured in Korea. I really like what I hear from this guitar in YouTube videos and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. I like the concept of a vintage design with a modern execution. The aesthetics and fit/finish also look excellent for a guitar in this price range (around $1,100 new).

I would love to hear from any current owner or those of you who had a chance to play one of these guitars. I hope to be able to play a range of music including soft rock, rock-a-billy, some blues, and jazz. I think this would be a great tool that could be a joy to own and play.

So many great guitars to choose from.

Thanks!!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Hey Bob,

The Starfire IV has a solid reputation. A few years back I was at a Robben Ford clinic and he pulled a use Starfire off the wall to use. I guess it was one of his first 'real' guitars and he was still pretty fond of them.

Speaking of choices, you may also want to consider a used Heritage 535 or similar. I believe that many/all are still built in one of the original Gibson factories in Michigan.

T.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWork View Post
Hey Bob,

The Starfire IV has a solid reputation. A few years back I was at a Robben Ford clinic and he pulled a use Starfire off the wall to use. I guess it was one of his first 'real' guitars and he was still pretty fond of them.

Speaking of choices, you may also want to consider a used Heritage 535 or similar. I believe that many/all are still built in one of the original Gibson factories in Michigan.

T.
The 535 is a great choice, but even used I'd expect it to be more than $1100. That said, if you can get close it would be great.

The Starfires do have a good reputation and the one I played recently was very nice.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 AM

I had one I absolutely adored for many years, early 70's vintage, all hog, translucent cherry red, rosewood fingerboard. Can't speak for newer versions, but that was one nice guitar that only got sold to help pay for a Bourgeois. Can't keep 'em all. My only criticism of it was that the neck was pretty narrow. I promised myself that, someday, I'd free up some cash for a nice 335, but I'd go back to another early Guild too.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

The reviews I have read so far seem to indicate that Guild really did a good job of reproducing the original vintage design in the latest Asian built version so it should feel and sound familiar to folks who have played one. The build quality and finish look excellent in the pictures I have seen.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:36 AM

I haven't played one of the Korean models, so I can't comment on them... but if they're anywhere near as good as the old Westerly models, get one. You'll be continually surprised (and in only GOOD ways).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars