The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM

An old college buddy of mine, who played keyboards and had a Fender Rhodes piano, couldn't help remarking about how good Fender instruments sounded through Fender amps. Somehow, they "were made for each other," the way few combinations are. Depending on your budget and your needs, I'd recommend something like a Fender Champ, a Fender Mustang, a Fender Princeton or a Fender Blues Junior. Try some of these models with your Tele at your music store and see which one you like.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:57 PM

How about a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe? Had my tech put some kind of attenuator on the volume knob because it got real loud real quick. I play a 1968 Tele through it and really like the tone...but it's all subjective.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Yes to that but they're way above the stated budget. Time and their arrival have put the black face Princetons closer to the budget.

My PRRI got better as the speaker got used so I would make the argument a used one would have that speaker more loose and exactly where I paid extra ordering Weber for a different amp.

It is really hard to know in a web forum what a different person really wants or likes but I think my theory on considering the amp models that have been popular for many years to many decades is worthy.
The PRRI is terrific. I had a very nice DRRI. The right speaker can really improve the tone, the 12" Eminence Cannabis rex or Weber California were both fantastic in my DRRI. The Eminence Ragin' Cajun and Copperhead are very nice 10 in speakers for the Princeton.
As for tubes, follow this guide:

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/f...ecommendations

The RCA 12AX7/ECC83 or 7025 are about the best you can get for V1 in Fender amps, although a Mullard ECC83 is also terrific. The Mullard CV4024 really is about the best reverb driver available.

I will let you in on a little secret, look for a mid-60's Ampeg Reverberocket II. For my money it is better sounding that either the Princeton or Deluxe Reverb. YMMV.

Last edited by The Old Gaffer; 01-29-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
So what criteria should I use to find my amp? I really like everything from mellow blues to bright country and worship/praise music. I need versatility and thought I could pull that off with my choices above.

I can get the bright snappy twang no problem (telecaster after all), but have not found a satisfying warm and mellow sound yet.
The Princetons (Reverb, not tweed) mentioned here are a classic that nail the mellow too but that's not exclusive to a Princeton Reverb.

I have 3 - 45 watts, US and Brit style, and a big Mesa with 2x12. My Princeton Reverb gets most of the use because it can be rich at home tones, carries easily enough to play out, and a stomp box can bring on the hair or crunch.

It's also nice with humbuckers and single coil.

Again, no way the only choice among SO many good ones but we're talking an item that's been consistently loved 1964 - 2014. With the black face reissues out for 5+ years they're available used to help your budget.

I have 3 - 45 watt amps with speaker size ranging from tiny through 2x12. With that, the Princeton Reverb is the only one I can enjoy as much when my kids are sleeping two floors above as grabbing it if my drummer friend calls a jam.

The tube rectifier, spring reverb, and some speaker size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHVG4kDurtY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1aiHbDhhMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTGamDz_BM

I rest my case.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:05 AM

The Vox mini 5 watt amp is very good. But I would think long and hard about going to a low wattage amp. They are worthless for anything more than noodling at home. I took mine busking and it was a massive fail.

Now I busk with a 50 watt rechargeable amp. Power to spare. 15 watts, for regular playing with others seems to be a sweet spot. Marshall has some great 15 watt amps worth looking at.

I don't like modeling amps much after my experiences with the Vox Mini, the Cube and the Street Cube. They tend to have pretty limited sound pallettes, like one or two decent tones. Go for more power and get some pedals.

GL!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 AM

Is a used "Princeton Reverb II" the same quality as Princeton Reverb you guys are mentioning here?

There is an add putting this one from the 1970's. What are the gotchas of buying an old used amp? I'm in over my head.

(I'm starting to feel like buying an amp is a gamble)
I need this thing for at home when people are sleeping, at church, and who knows what else... just thinking to the future. I've only been playing about a year and don't know what my preferences will be down the road. Versatility is critical, and quality so I don't buy twice.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Here you go:

Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM

A tube amp plugged into a reactive load doesn't make a sound

With about half-a-dozen components, you can make one which is better than many commercial load boxes (so long as you use good quality parts).
Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 AM

I've kind of done a 180 and am now looking at different amps.

Right now, I'm thinking either SuperChamp X2 Combo or Mustang III Combo.

I don't have any pedals (I am building my first electric setup).

So modeling with FUSE is tempting - on either amp. I can try different effects and learn what they do with a Fender amp and Fender guitar.

The X2 gets the nod for a line out (can get a cabinet later for different speakers) and it has tubes for experimenting with those tones. It also seems to take pedals well on channel 1. This just looks like the perfect intro amp for experimenting with.... everything.

The Mustang for the 12" speaker and onboard model editing screen (no line out and tempermental with pedal setups).

It seams both would work for home practice and smaller gigs. I'd likely buy the foot switches for either.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM

If you buy a Mustang III be prepared to live with it....NO resell value. IMO it pretty much sucks!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
If you buy a Mustang III be prepared to live with it....NO resell value. IMO it pretty much sucks!
Found that out the hard way with a first-issue Line 6 Flextone Plus - used it maybe a dozen or so times since I bought it new at GC in '99, not at all in the last 7-8 years; should've followed my gut and gone with the Ampeg Reverberocket 2x12" they had for the same money. Other than the first-run Kustom tuck-&-rolls, some early Acoustic heads/cabs, and the Vox Super Beatle, I can't think of any solid-state guitar amps with resale value anywhere near their original selling price much less "vintage" appeal; FWIW, there's some guy/gal who stole a Randall RG-120 2x12" "orange-stripe" combo - in its day heavy competition for the Fender Twin Reverb (and similarly priced as I recall, nearly forty years later) - for $149 at the New Brunswick (NJ) GC (a comparable vintage/condition Twin would go for at least five times the price). Bottom line: although solid-state amps do have their place by virtue of their (generally) light weight and (extremely) low maintenance, if you must have one buy basic - IME the fewer the gimmicks the greater the long-term practical/financial value - and while as Russ suggests they're unlikely to achieve collector status, they're also the "beaters" of the electric guitar world, and most serious players keep at least one around for backup/jamming purposes. My thought here is buy tubes, buy basic (OD/reverb/trem in any combination), learn to build a "signature" tone and add the effects as you acquire proficiency - which leads me to:

Quote:
Is a used "Princeton Reverb II" the same quality as Princeton Reverb you guys are mentioning here? There is an add putting this one from the 1970's. What are the gotchas of buying an old used amp? I'm in over my head...
The Princeton Reverb II was, along with the companion Twin Reverb II, Deluxe Reverb II, and Champ II/Super Champ (the latter a cult favorite among studio players, that was available with a factory EV speaker and can easily command four-figure prices in that trim - sorry I didn't grab one for $300 back then), a Rivera design that replaced the second-series blackface combos in 1983 - I've got the catalog in my archives and I played a few of them back in the day, so this definitely isn't a '70s amp. They were kind of a last-ditch effort by CBS/Fender to achieve a "modern" image: tremolo (one of the more endearing features of any tube amp IMO, but especially anything in blackface Fender livery) and independent non-switchable channels were shelved in favor of a Boogie-inspired OD circuit. They weren't bad for what they were - CBS realized its mistakes and was making a sincere effort to undo some of them (this was also when the first '52 Tele and '57/62 Strat reissues hit the market, and the '59 Bassman reissue was under consideration) - but other than the aforementioned Super Champ most players consider them neither fish nor fowl, lacking both the charisma of the original blackface (and even silverface, in some cases where the fundamental circuits weren't altered) and the exclusivity and panache of the Boogie; as a result, they didn't sell too well - and since there are lots of very expensive "gotchas" when buying an old tube amp, I'd be inclined to pass on this one...
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Is a used "Princeton Reverb II" the same quality as Princeton Reverb you guys are mentioning here?

There is an add putting this one from the 1970's. What are the gotchas of buying an old used amp? I'm in over my head.

(I'm starting to feel like buying an amp is a gamble)
I need this thing for at home when people are sleeping, at church, and who knows what else... just thinking to the future. I've only been playing about a year and don't know what my preferences will be down the road. Versatility is critical, and quality so I don't buy twice.
Re: "I'm starting to feel like buying an amp is a gamble"

You can reduce your risk if you go with one of the designs that has sold well over a long period of time. That will happen two ways. If lots of people have loved it over time there's a chance you will. If the thing has been popular for decades you have a better chance of somebody else wanting it if you don't like or want it anymore.

Some info that shows the Princeton Reverb II is not the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Princeton_Reverb

PR is not the only amp I love but it covers a lot of ground. Consider:

-tube amp including tube rectifier and spring reverb
-size that can work in both of your home and at a jam
-considered "pedal friendly" which means you can enjoy clean tones or spank it with a boost or OD pedal if not it's natural overdrive
-reissue status means you can get the classic circuit at an affordable price relative to one made in the 1960s

A Blues Jr will cost less and have reverb tank.

Enjoy.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM

Buying an amp CAN be intimidating! Always best to play before buying...That said it is not always possible. Second best idea....buy something with decent resale potential. A Princeton Reverb or even a Princeton Reverb Reissue can always be resold without losing alot of coin, unless you pay too much to begin with. A Blues Jr. is iffy on resale, a Mustang is a loss without a doubt. A Fender Pro Jr. or Blues Deluxe is a pretty easy resale. A Vox AC15c1 can be had for very reasonable and is a very nice amp.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 PM
.tom the übergeek

I picked up a used Blues Jr. III for $260. Grab one and you can always resell it.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 PM

For that money I'd find me a nice used Peavey Classic 30 and get to rockin'.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars