The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Luthier

The luthier wasn't talking about money. He was talking about viabilty. He mentioned the interlocking neck joint on the NT, that Taylor made a video about talking about stress levels, etc, and how it exceeded everything out there, now it's gone. The change for 3V to 9V isn't bad. But, they're examples of ideas that wasn't fully developed yet but put to market. After there were a bunch of complaints, Taylor corrected it, but it cost them a ton of money in warranty work. That's not good business.

Martin on the other hand makes sure it's right before it goes to the public. I remember when they changed the design of their Truss rod. They did tons of marketing surveys and research before they determined if it would be successful. They did it once. They did it right.

It almost a personality thing. Martin is in the East and very conservative in their approach to change. Taylor is in California and seems a tad impulsive. They have a great idea that they can't wait to get out there. Then the Public pays for it when it's changed or discontinued in a few years. Guitars are not toasters. They have good life spans and people buy them thinking that they will last for life. Unless, your on the road every day. Even when they get trashed, people like 'em. Look at those Fenders they mess up to make them look old. i believe they are called relics. Taylor solid bodies will be the true relics.

What's worse is the impact this has on Taylor itself. Lot's of Warranty repairs, Luthiers love that! It impacts the bottom line, and ticks people off. Taylor should be careful of this since they go way over board claiming they are the Kings of customer Service.

Last edited by Sword Bringer; 01-31-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Default Option

As for the suggestion that I find an alternative if I'm not happy. I already thought about that. I just bought a Godin Icon 2 Convertible. Godin is a great company, that produces an excellent innovative product with no fanfare and excellent cost containment. Being in Canada helps us Americans because of the difference in the dollar. Godin is very much like Gibson or Fender. Not at all a shredder company though the Red Line models fit that bill. They aren't like Schecter or newer Ibanez products.

The Convertible has Duncan P-Rail on it (2). I can get p-90, humbucking and single coil configuration from each pup and mix them any way I want. 15 Combinations in all. Set neck, Mahogany with Maple top, Ebony Fret Board, Tusq Nut, and Graph Tech Bridge system. the build is almost as good as PRS, not quite. It plays as well as my PRS Custom 24. The P-90 sounds are outstanding! The single coil better than Fender stock, the humbuckers are a little muddier than PRS but amazing sustain and good mid range. My only complaint is that you can't get that Fender Quack that you can even on a PRS on the 2nd Mid and 4th positions. that's probably because there only a three way toggle switch. You can get all kinds of pickup combos but I think it would be even better if They put a five position switch in there. I got it for 35% less than I paid for the SB. both were purchased new.

The single coil tones are louder and have great mid-range, but lack the chime of Fender pick-ups. the Godin stand alone single coil that I have on my Session
gets both great mid range and chime as well as quack. The Session has a splitable humbucker in the bridge position that has amazing drive and clarity.

Believe it or not, I'd say my best guitar right now is the Godin Session which you can buy used for about $275. They are better now and cost about $550 new. It isn't pretty, but can do everything and has a great Godin maple neck and finger board. I think it's better than the American Deluxe Strat H/S/S.

So, i think my future is with Godin. I love my Taylor Acoustics, and I think they make fine and innovative products. They just blew it from the PR stand point for me. They just aren't who they say they are. I think they used to be excellent with the public. I don't know if the loss of focus is because Bob has gotten away from the day to day operations. Then again, those are Big Corporate decisions. I'm just a consumer trying to get my money's worth.

Last edited by Sword Bringer; 01-31-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-31-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Last point.

I do think Taylor has let the customers down somewhat because you can't get accessories for older products. The Taylor solid Body Pickgards were listed, and are still listed as accessories. That means, at least to me, a replacement or enhancement part available to customer who have future need.

I know, I'm splitting hairs! and I do appreciate the fact that we're only talking about a consumer product here, from which there are many to choose. But, I'm passionate about my guitars. They're like my kids!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I sent a message to Taylor via their website, saying there is a lot of confusion about the SBs and they are getting negative press here, on a forum that is often quite Taylor-positive. I've e-mailed them before on other subjects and have gotten pretty quick replies. This time, I haven't heard anything.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Default Taylor Silence

Taylor's silence is deafening on this issue. The fact that the SB's and loaded Pickgards are still listed on the website is border line false advertising.

They just blew it, plain and simple! I think this will leave them with a black eye for awhile. I'm amazed that they are still not addressing the customers about any of this.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Recommendations for Discontinued Taylor SB's

Martin hasn't exactly been perfect. Just look at all the finish crack issues around the bridge that has been reported.

All companies run into issues from time to time.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 AM

Default Issues

Absolutely! All companies have their problems and outright calamities! I'm not saying Taylor should be perfect. I think they should begin to act like they aren't this great exception to the rules. It's OK to have something go wrong. We all do it, or have it happen to us. Taylor is no exception. But, the point I've been trying to make is that Taylor has claimed to be superior to the rest in Customer Service. I just think they should practice what they preach. I love Taylor products! I own three.

I was pretty upset over this Solid Body thing. But, I have to say that my Taylor Solid body is still one of the best electrics I've ever come across. I was going to sell it. but after playing some more there's no way! So, I'm going keep it and enjoy it and hope Taylor gets enough flack about the way this was done to never do something like this again. I'm not saying they should never take something off the market. I'm saying they shouldn't remove the advertised accessories without notifying the public that something they want may not be available much longer.

From the reaction of the public when the word was let out (not by Taylor) - all loaded pickgards everywhere sold in a week, Taylor stood to make a lot of dough if they had only told us ,up front, what they had planned behind corporate doors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars