The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
When electric guitar players say, "I don't need pedals, just an guitar and amp", I occasionally chuckle.

Imagine a artist saying, "I only will paint with one color".
When I can make guitar and amp sound like Derek Trucks does I'll chuckle as well. Until then I'll accept that other people make different choices.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
This ...

Cool! Rockman, that's the stuff started by Tom Scholz of Boston, right?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 AM

I only have two pedals, which I use in specific situations. First, Rickenbacker 360/12 > JangleBox > amp. The second is Collings 290> Tim Overdrive > Victoria Victoriette. I've never used the Tim pedal with any other guitar or amp.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
When I can make guitar and amp sound like Derek Trucks does I'll chuckle as well. Until then I'll accept that other people make different choices.
What I'm talking about is the smugness that usually accompanies the statement about pedals.

I don't care about the choices others make, I encourage you to find your happiness. You keep on working to sound like someone else, I'll chase my own sound, thanks.

Last edited by stephenT; 01-05-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: case>chase
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
What I'm talking about is the smugness that usually accompanies the statement about pedals.

I don't care about the choices others make, I encourage you to find your happiness. You keep on working to sound like someone else, I'll case my own sound, thanks.
I've never seen the smugness I only ever seem to see the opposite side of the equation, and with a Jr into a 5E3, I'm certainly not trying to sound like Derek.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM

A complex signal path for me is using more than 5 fx pedals between my guitar and amp. Lately, I've gigged with using a Distortion and Delay pedals between my guitar and Peavey Delta Bllues...simpler, IMO, is better.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM

Guitar into my Fractal Axe FX Mark II, out via Orange 2X12 Black Cab with a back !!!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
I've never seen the smugness I only ever seem to see the opposite side of the equation, and with a Jr into a 5E3, I'm certainly not trying to sound like Derek.
I definitely noticed a little smugocity (TM) in this thread from the no effects peeps... For what it's worth. Maybe it's unintentional.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
Guitar into my Fractal Axe FX Mark II, out via Orange 2X12 Black Cab with a back !!!
I can't decide whether that's really simple, or about as complex as it could get
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I run my (7) pedals though a looper so I can switch and run direct to the amp (or to a tuner and mute). I highly recommend Loop Master for great products at very good prices.

http://www.loop-master.com

Most all of my pedals are true bypass (except the Boss and ToneCore) and even though I can hear the difference between straight and though effects, it's so slight it's almost imperceivable.

BTW, I just reorganized my pedals on a new pedaltrain board. Somehow (wish I knew why) they sound better. I've read that the order of pedals can make a huge difference and it seems in my case it did. I also made a point of keeping the cables that connect the pedals away from the power cables, don't know if that also makes a difference.

From my reading I found this for the suggested pedal order.

Guitar>distortion/overdrive/boost>modulation pedals>delay. Seems to work for me.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Best case? ES-345>cord>Fender Deluxe Reverb (volume dimed, treble to 0, bass dimed), then control the distortion with the volume on the guitar...

If the situation does not allow that level of volume, then I add a TS-9 between the guitar and the amp...

That simple enough for ya?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
I definitely noticed a little smugocity (TM) in this thread from the no effects peeps... For what it's worth. Maybe it's unintentional.
I don't think it's intended. I know I didn't. I pick guitars for their sound and prefer a simple set up. I'm not alone and fully recognize and appreciate others choices who may disagree. Some people do cool things with pedals. Others I find I can't watch due to the constant dancing on a rack of more than a dozen.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM

Mine's pretty simple. Fender Strat Std ---> Boss Blues Driver ---> Biyang Time Machine Delay ---> Fender Frontman 25R. It's just a bedroom rig; it's not great but it's good enough. I also have a Danelectro Honeytone I keep for playing around the house. It only sounds good at barely over the acoustic sound I get from my Strat.

I just got one of the new Mustang modeling amps for Christmas, but I like my Frontman and dialing in different tones with my pedals better.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I run my (7) pedals though a looper so I can switch and run direct to the amp (or to a tuner and mute). I highly recommend Loop Master for great products at very good prices.

http://www.loop-master.com

Most all of my pedals are true bypass (except the Boss and ToneCore) and even though I can hear the difference between straight and though effects, it's so slight it's almost imperceivable.

BTW, I just reorganized my pedals on a new pedaltrain board. Somehow (wish I knew why) they sound better. I've read that the order of pedals can make a huge difference and it seems in my case it did. I also made a point of keeping the cables that connect the pedals away from the power cables, don't know if that also makes a difference.

From my reading I found this for the suggested pedal order.

Guitar>distortion/overdrive/boost>modulation pedals>delay. Seems to work for me.
Great observation. Order does make a difference, and sometimes one rig may sound better with one order and others with another order.

What were the types of pedals you changed order?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

A host of Les Pauls a Tele a Strat and an Ibanez post the Marshall dayz:
Simple:
guitar> Cry Baby> Pro Co Rat> Delay> Digital Stereo Chorus split> two tweaked Fender Tweed Vibroverbs...phat baby!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars