The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Reverb Pedal

Any suggestions for a Reverb pedal. I am going to get a new tube amp in a couple of weeks that does not have reverb. Would be using it for play blues and that's about it. I think I would prefer the simpler the better.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Test drove a bunch before going for the TC Electronics Hall of Fame. You don't have to use the TonePrint or stereo capabilities. Really like this pedal.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 AM

The designers have come so far with the algorithms used in digital pedals these days that you have many good choices. If you want to spend some money the Strymon stuff (Blue Sky, Flint) are incredible. Neunaber "Wet" is another great, but pricey pedal. The TC Electronics Hall of Fame is the best bang for the buck. I have one on both my acoustic board and my electric board. I have actually grown to prefer a good digital pedal over tube driven reverb. Sometimes I don't want typical spring reverb. I may want plate, or hall or some bigger sound. So, I would look at:

Strymon
Neunaber
TC Electronics

All the digital pedals are easy to use.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 AM

Check out the Mad Professor Silver Spring.

silver spring 1
silver spring 2

Last edited by moon; 12-16-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 12-12-2013, 09:58 AM

I find tube rectified amps don't need a reverb pedal most of the time, so if your amp is this then it might be worth trying without it.

If not, the Holy Grail is very simple and works well.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
I find tube rectified amps don't need a reverb pedal most of the time, so if your amp is this then it might be worth trying without
I don't understand this at all? Reverb is reverb, sag is sag. Different animals.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I don't understand this at all? Reverb is reverb, sag is sag. Different animals.
I just find with the increased sag I don't need reverb to achieve a sound I like as the notes "blossom" (I hate that term but it's the best I've heard).

I only found this out when I got a tube rectified amp and now have a pretty redundant Holy Grail pedal.

So I don't mean they're the same, just that the change in sound meant I didn't need my reverb pedal anymore.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM

The best reverb pedal is one that comes with a nice old Fender reverb amp. Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Super Reverb, Twin Reverb...

Any of the Silver Face or Black Face Fenders are good, especially for playing blues.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:45 AM

If you like traditional surf/blues/rockabilly/Ennio Morricone-style reverb, you might consider a used Peavey Valverb. It's rack, but it also has tremolo. All tube-powered and so deep that you sound like you're playing on a cavern on Pluto.

Mine sounds great, but it's build quality is a bit spotty (once I repaired mine- fresh from the factory with broken lands- it's been a real performer).
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Reverb use is subjective. I've played Blues for over 40 yrs. and most only use just alittle. I've never heard a Blues player play with alot unless it was natural to the room. Tremolo was used abundantly. Now if you are talking Texas Blues, you just need to find that sound in your head.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:35 PM

I've got a T Rex reverb which works fine, but I think a Holy Grail might be better for that spring reverb sound. I also think that the reverbs in digital multiFX work very well, and offer a wide choice in types of reverb. - Eg, I liked plate for acoustics.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you want authentic spring reverb like you'd find in a tube amp, VanAmps makes the Sole Mate spring reverb. Many of my friends who own genuine Fender tweed amps from the '50s use these to add reverb to them. VanAmps Sole Mate

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
If you want authentic spring reverb like you'd find in a tube amp, VanAmps makes the Sole Mate spring reverb. Many of my friends who own genuine Fender tweed amps from the '50s use these to add reverb to them. VanAmps Sole Mate

Bob
Thanks a lot buddy, I now want reverb back in life...
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Hehehehe... Yeah, I'm lusting after one of these or a Neunaber Wet to go with my Tweed Deluxe. The ambient sounds the Neunaber can make are absolutely mesmerizing.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
Oh Noooooo

I have a "thing" about good spring-reverbs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars