The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Default dehumidifier

I am trying to lower the humidity in my spray room. The room is approx. 7' x 9'. I bought thishttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Perfect-Home-4-Pint-Dehumidifier-EWDH4/202261882 I thought for a room this small, sealed up, this should work okay.The best it has done is 59%RH. Can anyone recommend a better one? I will be spraying Endurovar. The outside RH here goes from 90+% in the night to around 50% midday/afternoon. Thanks, Danny Gray
Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 PM

If you are using any form of exhaust fan, as much air has to enter the room as is leaving it via the fan. It will be challenging to dehumidify a high flow rate of air as it enters the room.

If the air is static, and without a lot of "leakage", a larger humidifier will work. A 4 pint/day humidifier is pretty low capacity. For years, I've used a 45 and a 50 pint/day dehumidifier for an area larger than yours, with more or less static/contained air. Sears units work fine, as will other brands, around $200 or so. I see that Sears now also sells a 75 pint unit, which may be overkill for your needs.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Most of the consumer dehumidifiers just can't really get the job done in a tough environment. I'm in Charlotte, NC, and have similar humidity to SC. I finally had to get a higher quality unit to keep my shop in the 40% range. The cost is higher, but it actually works and moves much more air than the less expensive units. Check on units at Sylvane.com. The one I have is the Santa fe Compact II. It does not have a bucket, so I had to run a drain outside, but it really gets the job done. They also have more powerful units with a catch bucket too. Another thing that helps is to get the unit up off the floor. Also, buy one that is rated for a larger space than the room you are trying to dehumidify. The things are over rated.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 PM

I would not recommend spray painting in an enclosed enviroment (no extraction fan) really really dangerous especially if you are then running a powered device in the room like a dehumidifier.

Best option IMO, Find out what thinners are required to remedy the problem for spraying in higher humidity.

Currently around 65 percent here to upwards of 95 percent, lots and lots of thunderstorms and down pours, This is coming out of the booth next week after gassing off to then get sanded and buffed

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 07-21-2016 at 11:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair