The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-27-2016, 03:01 PM

Default Removing a pickguard and "Tan Line"

I have 20 year old high end custom acoustic guitar with a beautiful
European spruce top. I would like to permanently remove the pickguard which is made out of ebony. My concern is the color under the guard will obviously be lighter color since the top has aged a little and the tan line is the issue. Any options to address the difference in the color. My only other option is replace it with another pickuard of the exact same shape more to my liking.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks
MK
Old 06-27-2016, 04:32 PM

If you are set on removing the pick guard, I'd do that first before spinning my wheels on a potential discoloration issue.

Does the guard get in your way because of thickness? A tone thing? Or is this aesthetics?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:42 PM

I had a similar quest and decided it wasn't worth the effort. Unless you are skilled in finishing, probably highly skilled it seems.

I live with my tan line, a removed top pickguard on an old Guild F212 that was converted to left-handed long ago. I had it converted back and the original pickguard remains.

It does seem, over time now, the tan line has faded to a degree and there's a less noticeable outline of a pickguard. Less...not gone.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM

I am in the middle of a tan line experiment right now. Because it was peeling up anyway, I removed the original pick guard from a 15 year old Taylor 410. The color difference was considerable. I have masked the top and edge binding - except for the pick guard shape - using kraft paper and have been leaving it in direct sunlight most afternoons, weather permitting. The theory is that the lighter areas will tan and eventually get closer to the aged areas that were not originally covered.

So far it has about 25 hours of string direct sunlight exposure, and the tan line is still quite obvious when I peak around the masking paper. It is not going as well as I had hoped. My fallback position is to put another identical PG on it, but that is my last choice, as I'm not a fan of the Taylor pick guard shape aesthetically.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Default Removing a Pickguard and "Tan Line

T hanks. I'm thinking of just swapping out the ebony one on mine which is a George Gorodntiski Master Elite guitar. It has a killer European spruce top from 1997 but the guard is not to my liking.Thinking about using the same outline maybe go with tortoise shell.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:54 AM

I would recommend just swapping the pickguard to a different one. That tan line will never even out...might get better but it took 20 years to get there. Greven Tor-tis is really nice material but hard to work with if you have to cut it. I'm not a big fan of the Tortoloid that stewmac sells, but it is very easy to cut and looks nice if you get all the bubbles out and it goes onto a perfectly smooth surface.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:09 PM

I'm starting to agree with you, bjnp. Roughly 25 hours of direct summer sunlight seems to have made very little perceptible difference. In addition, the clearer portions of the original tortoise PG left tanned speckles in the midst of the whiter areas. Odds are fairly low that it will even out acceptably. Still hoping though........

I've never been a fan of tortoise pick guards (personal stylistic choice) so when I eventually give up, a black Taylor pick guard will be installed to cover the non-tanned area.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've pulled and replaced many pickguards in my days so here's what I can tell you. There are 2 parts to the "tan line", first off is the light ridge that the old pickguard will leave on the finish even if the wood isn't discolored underneath this ridge will be fairly visible, and secondly is the discoloration, which is near impossible if not impossible to buff/sand wipe away, this is due to the fact that the discoloration is in the wood itself, possibly even down to the molecular level. So unless you're planning to replace the pickguard with a similar shaped guard it might look a tad funny. Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
So far it has about 25 hours of strong direct sunlight exposure, and the tan line is still quite obvious when I peek around the masking paper.
You need stronger UV. A 25 watt UV fluorescent tube (black light) should do the job in a week or two.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 AM

Default Removing a Pickguard and "Tan Line"-Now what material?

I have decided to keep the same shape after lots a very good advise from AGF.
Now what material? The Tor-tis/Greven material looks to be too difficult for me to work with and do a proper job. Is that the same as the LMI material? I don't care for the Stew Mac/Mario Prolux Tortaloid material looks wise. However, installation seems user friendly for the non-luthier types like me. I love the Delmar stuff if that's what on the new Martin Authentic series. I'm going for the vintage tortoise shell look and thin material. Are there repair folks that stock Delmar? Any thoughts my preference is to have a repair person do the job right.

Thanks
MK
Old 07-03-2016, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonepro54 View Post
I have decided to keep the same shape after lots a very good advise from AGF.
Now what material? The Tor-tis/Greven material looks to be too difficult for me to work with and do a proper job. Is that the same as the LMI material? I don't care for the Stew Mac/Mario Prolux Tortaloid material looks wise. However, installation seems user friendly for the non-luthier types like me. I love the Delmar stuff if that's what on the new Martin Authentic series. I'm going for the vintage tortoise shell look and thin material. Are there repair folks that stock Delmar? Any thoughts my preference is to have a repair person do the job right.

Thanks
MK
In my experience Greven Tortis material is not as tough to work with as most folks claim. Just make sure it's properly heated under hot water and cut out the shape you like, beveling is fairly easy since due to the thickness. As far as Delmar you can probably get one from an authorized Martin repair man, I got a replacement before directly from Martin but they require you to have the serial, otherwise they only offer the dreadnought shape, if I remember correctly it's $60 + shipping. Delmar sells the material in giant blocks that needs to be sliced thin to make pickguards so finding blanks might be a bit tough
Old 07-17-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
You need stronger UV. A 25 watt UV fluorescent tube (black light) should do the job in a week or two.
Wow...really?

For the record I was always a fan of John Denver's F50R with the double pick guard, an image from my youth engraved on my guitar player brain. But that iconic guitar was custom built.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair