The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. I always enjoy popping into Lawrence when I'm in the area. Some of the finest guitars I've ever played have been at Mass Street Music.

When your new Republic tricone shows up, be certain to take it in to Mass Street to have them set it up for you. If nothing else, travel vibrations might well have loosened some screws here and there, and like any other instrument resonator guitars benefit from a proper set up.

By the way, which finish does your incoming Republic have? I googled "Republic tricones" and found a number of finishes that they offer. There's this shiny one:

˚˚˚

but there are a number of other finishes, as well, as their website shows:

http://republicguitars.com/tri-cone-guitars/

I really like their copper finish:

˚˚˚

but am markedly less enthused about this one:

˚˚˚

which they call "Red Copper Rust," but which to me looks more like "Found mouldering under a compost heap in an abandoned barn."

But - hey! - different strokes for different folks, right? To somebody else that "red copper rust" might epitomize elegance and serious dedicated mojo, so to each their own.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Hopefully they don't mind customers watching I'd like to see the set up process. I have a Manuel and like to tinker but someone who has been there before might be wise.

This guitar is the shiny with a Lilly of the valley etching/stamping on it.
I think patenaed antiques are cool they have a history. But for me personally that's cheating I would like to wear it out for myself but I'm a kitchen table noodler so that probably won't be happening!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:28 PM

Congrats on a great score! Glad you enjoyed a trip to Lawrence as well. Looking forward to a review once you get your new tricone!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Happy Easter!

I received the republic tricone a few days ago. Looks and feels very nice, put a new set of medium gauge strings on and it sounds good and rings out nicely. I had expected a bit more growl but no complaints at all. I have played around a little bit with fingerstyle guitar but the action is high enough that I sound terrible on it . Which is perfect I wanted this to try out bottle neck so I feel like I'm learning the guitar all over again, fortunately I have a patient wife. Ordered a lesson pack of Bob Brozmann, looking forward to going through that.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
I had expected a bit more growl but no complaints at all.
Tricones don't really growl. The first ones produced were made for Lap Hawaiian playing. They sing sweetly. You can funk them up though! Palm muting, picking near the bridge, using bare flesh to pick up on the fingerboard. They aren't a one trick pony, but they like to speak clearly

Don't expect to sit down in front of the TV and play through an entire Brozman CD. To get the most out of it, spending a lot of time on each "chapter" is recommended. I assume you got the bottleneck series?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
which they call "Red Copper Rust," but which to me looks more like "Found mouldering under a compost heap in an abandoned barn."
Well it's still too soon to call it the "Katrina"
Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 PM

Thanks blue.

Just found the resonate documentary on youtube, found it all good but thought Bob was especially fascinating. Yes I did get the bottle neck series and have every intention of taking it slow.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
Thanks blue.

Just found the resonate documentary on youtube, found it all good but thought Bob was especially fascinating. Yes I did get the bottle neck series and have every intention of taking it slow.
That movie is great fun! I love Doug Doug MacLeod's origin story

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments