The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Rainsong Smokey vs Balckbird Super OM

OK, its down to these 2 the Smokey and Super OM. I have played the Super OM and love it but I am very interested in the Smokey too, and hope to play it next week. What do you guys think? I mainly play at church for worship, so lots of rhythm and need good projection (currently own a Gibson SJ-200).
Let me know!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Guest 928

I don't think you can wrong with either instrument. It comes down to taste. You should probably comb through this forum for various impressions relative to your method of play and your sense of sound. Enjoy the search.

You should just buy both, take a little time and see which one suited your taste. You'll lose a little money on the resale of the rejected instrument, but that can be counted as rent. Rust never sleeps, don't be denied. This is a window, you can only look for so long before the scene changes. Best hurry!

I'm having fun here, but I understand the decision-making you are facing and I have taken the advice I've given and have had a really time. Again, enjoy the search--what great options!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Default Rainsong Smokey vs Balckbird Super OM

I haven't played a blackbird. But the Smokey hybrid is amazing, especially with the stagepro anthem. It has amazing clarity, sustain, and volume. Plus it looks bad a**. If you do play one, you may want to swap the strings for something other than the black DR's.
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 PM

Default Rainsong Smokey vs Blackbird Super OM

Thanks for the advise. Guitars are interesting as I played a dreadnught for years, saw, heard and played a Gibson SJ-200 and thought it was the end, volume a bass response I like, but although I like it, I'm not in love with it. Sitting and playing on a stool for a while and the arm starts to hurt, standing with the strap and it's more difficult to play I just am having a hard time with it I heard and played a few carbon guitars and I am blown away plus being able to leave it out on the stand is a plus for practice time, just pick it up anytime ! Thanks again for the input.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:53 AM

If this is decisive point for you, you could get the Super OM in a short scale too if you ordered from Blackbird.

Personally, I am waiting for an OM in eKoa... I don't have GAS at the moment...
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber