The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Default Electric guitar output jacks

So,

I have 2 used electrics. I got a used knock-off brand guitar that looks like a strat, and is a lot of fun. It worked fine when I bought it, but now the output jack has started to come loose and doesn't work. I called the local shop who sells them and they are going to fix it super cheap (even though I bought it 2nd hand and have no warrantee )

The 2nd was a used MIM Telecaster. It worked fine in the store, but when I got home... output jack needed to be replaced. I got it repaired under a 30 day used warrantee from the big box store.

So I can't complain about costs, but how should I care for these things? They are starting to seem too delicate... or maybe the general population doesn't take care of them and I get them just before they reach breaking point?

I'd love to mod/fix them myself, but I'm afraid of doing more damage than good... so just tips for not breaking them is fine
Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM

If I understand you correctly? One of the main mistakes made with output jacks is to try to tension (tighten) them. IF you twist the actual jack (with wires) while tightening the nut you will twist the wires and often cause a short. You can get good books on General Guitar Care and Feeding. I would suggest you find one.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Ah. Wonderful. I think you found all of the bad ones for us. Appreciate it.

Never personally had one of those fail in... um... forty-four years.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM

The only thing that ever really has or does happen on some of mine is the nut starts to come loose. I just tighten it. If and when it really becomes a pain I pull out the tools and get serious about tightening. At that point does not really seem to work itself loose any more.

No I don't find the jacks to be delicate as long as you keep them from moving/being loose that is when problems could happen.
Cordoba Solista CE CD/IN
Cordoba Fusion 14RS
Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II HoneyBurst
Fender Standard Stratocaster Gold
Fender Standard Telecaster Lake Placid Blue
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Burst
Ibanez GRGA 42 TRB
Ibanez GRGA 32 WHT
Ibanez SR300 Grey
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 PM

you may want to get dan erliwine's guitar repair book. very well done.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Pain View Post
The only thing that ever really has or does happen on some of mine is the nut starts to come loose. I just tighten it. If and when it really becomes a pain I pull out the tools and get serious about tightening. At that point does not really seem to work itself loose any more.

No I don't find the jacks to be delicate as long as you keep them from moving/being loose that is when problems could happen.
Ah thats what I was looking for. The Strat copy had a loose nut, and I just hand tighten it. After a few months, I started having a problem. The Tele on the other hand... I didn't do anything to it! And actually several sales reps couldnt reproduce it either, but I could, and thankfully, so could the guitar tech!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM

The Mexican Fenders used to come with Switchcraft jacks and those last a long while.

One thing that will help keep them from coming loose is to make sure you have a toothed washer between the jack and the cup.

Another thing that used to work for me was to put a small spot of clear nail polish on the threads of the jack, then tighten the nut. The clear polish will set up and doesn't show, but breaks easily when you need it to. Just be careful not to get it on the guitar finish. You only need a small drop as it will fill the jack sleeve threads as you turn the nut on.

Hope this helps! Bill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars