The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2024, 04:57 PM

Default LR Baggs Para

I bought this preamp yesterday morning and used it for the first time yesterday afternoon thru a PA. It was cold, and windy as all hell. It fed back sooo bad I took it out of the mix. Went straight to the board . It was so windy that my guitar would just feedback really bad. Will the rubber disc help with this problem ;in the soundhole of the guitar? I forget what it's called.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:03 PM

Yes. It will help big time. I have used one for many years and I see a lot of pros using one too. If you have soundhole controls for your pickup just cut the rubber feedback buster so it still fits in the soundhole tightly. Good luck.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Called a Feedback buster. It will definitely help, especially with low end feedback.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-14-2024, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Called a Feedback buster. It will definitely help, especially with low end feedback.
yes feedback buster.will start using it.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:24 PM

I've used the D'Addario Screeching Halt soundhole cover successfully. Some brands have multiple sizes available for different diameter sound holes.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I bought this preamp yesterday morning and used it for the first time yesterday afternoon thru a PA. It was cold, and windy as all hell. It fed back sooo bad I took it out of the mix. Went straight to the board . It was so windy that my guitar would just feedback really bad. Will the rubber disc help with this problem ;in the soundhole of the guitar? I forget what it's called.
Hi eyesore
A 'Feedback Buster' will help control feedback, even if one edge is cut away to accommodate volume sound-hole mounted controls.

If it's not too late to do an upgrade (UPDATE) the Baggs ParaDI is a nearly 30 year old design which they upgraded with the Venue a few years back. If you can do a swap (plus cash) it's worth the upgrade to a more modern unit. Plus the Venue adds mute, tuning (somewhat lame) and boost.

The Venue covers the same types and frequency controls as the ParaDI, in a much more hearty and user friendly package, with labels in understandable English (as opposed to the mystery categories on the ParaDI). Plus the XLR output jack on a ParaDI causes the cable to stick straight up in the air. On the Venue it exits parallel to the ground.

Just my 2₵ worth.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-15-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I feel like this should be more of a discussion about the pickup than the preamp. The Para Di is great, even if it's old. That has nothing to do with why you are feeding back. What pickup are you using? If it has an internal mic or if a SBT style then a feedback buster is the best bet. Sounds like you just had a terrible weather day.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I feel like this should be more of a discussion about the pickup than the preamp. The Para Di is great, even if it's old. That has nothing to do with why you are feeding back. What pickup are you using? If it has an internal mic or if a SBT style then a feedback buster is the best bet. Sounds like you just had a terrible weather day.
Very true! Unless he was boosting certain frequencies with the Para that was causing the feedback.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:25 PM

Yamaha acoustic-electric guitars come with the rubber plug. They help. I seldom have to use one. The PADI has the ability to pull the offending frequency out of the mix. Learning how to use it would be worthwhile before ditching it.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi eyesore
A 'Feedback Buster' will help control feedback, even if one edge is cut away to accommodate volume sound-hole mounted controls.

If it's not too late to do an upgrade (UPDATE) the Baggs ParaDI is a nearly 30 year old design which they upgraded with the Venue a few years back. If you can do a swap (plus cash) it's worth the upgrade to a more modern unit. Plus the Venue adds mute, tuning (somewhat lame) and boost.

The Venue covers the same types and frequency controls as the ParaDI, in a much more hearty and user friendly package, with labels in understandable English (as opposed to the mystery categories on the ParaDI). Plus the XLR output jack on a ParaDI causes the cable to stick straight up in the air. On the Venue it exits parallel to the ground.

Just my 2₵ worth.

wow ,they did offer me the Venue first but i said no. You think it is worth the swap?
Old 04-15-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I agree here!
Old 04-15-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I agree here!
Sorry ; I am using the k &k pure mini.no v control ,just under the bridge plate.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
wow ,they did offer me the Venue first but i said no. You think it is worth the swap?
Hi eyesore
Yes.

I work with the techs in our church for the Worship Team, and our main 'worship-leader' mic position has the Venue at his/her feet. It was a worthy upgrade over a ParaDI. The only advantage it has is it can be 'fed' phantom power instead of running off battery or DC 'brick'. The input gain is hidden on the side of the front, and if you understand tech talk, and have a good ear, you'll be able to set it. But troubleshooting on the fly with it is touchy.

I'm the guy who sets a time with the worship leader's during the week at our church. We setup each guitar with the board (if they are not a regular). It makes ANY non powered pickup better (under saddle, bridge plate, or mag pickup), and does a good job on our current Worship Leader's Orangewood with the midline internal Baggs preamp.

I owned two out-of-date ParaDI units (which I know how to set and operate) which I gave away when upgrading my personal preamps to dual channel (pickup plus internal mic). I prefer the Venue. Not only for the updated electronics, and modern labeling, but the mute, tuner, and boost features.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-16-2024, 08:01 AM

The Venue just offers a couple more frequencies to adjust plus some additional features, but the Para is the same basic thing....a parametric EQ pedal.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:53 AM

Another Baggs option that is $50 less than the Venue is the Session DI. No EQ, but you do have notch and hp filters, and lovely compressor and saturation controls. It is crazy how good it makes my guitars sound! Never owned a Venue but I've heard from lots of people that the tuner leaves much to be desired.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification