The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 PM

Default My next two "Carbon Fiber" Dream Instruments

Iv'e been browsing the internet, looking at various other wooden musical instruments, and have come up with these two that would keep me stoked for the rest of my life:

1.) The "Harpejji" by Marcodi Musical Products...It is kinda like a cross between a tap guitar and "touch" type Piano. I would want it acoustic though, so it would need a hollow chamber.

2.) A Mountain Dulcimer with percussive "blocks". (and maybe cowbells?)... The downside would be my lack of rythmic techniques though...

Any one else want to see Carbon Fiber instruments expand?
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 PM

I reckon a CF built for lapsteel, or even better, a CF weissenborn.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Guest 928

A CF Weissenborn seems like a natural. And as long as we are covering all of the bases, why not a cigar box guitar?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Iv'e been browsing the internet, looking at various other wooden musical instruments, and have come up with these two that would keep me stoked for the rest of my life:

1.) The "Harpejji" by Marcodi Musical Products...It is kinda like a cross between a tap guitar and "touch" type Piano. I would want it acoustic though, so it would need a hollow chamber.

2.) A Mountain Dulcimer with percussive "blocks". (and maybe cowbells?)... The downside would be my lack of rythmic techniques though...

Any one else want to see Carbon Fiber instruments expand?
I'm strictly a guitar guy and have no plans to venture into other stringed instruments, or others. Interesting wish list Clay. I hope someday these become realized in CF.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM

Thanks Acousticato... In the late 70s I bought my 1st synthesizer...a Roland Juno 60...this was pre midi...

I am almost strictly an acoustic player these days, due to the "organic" vibe of my playing...however, sometimes I venture into the realm of electronic music...

It's difficult to capture the essence of "heart/soul" with digital music though...

Be well Amigo!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I reckon a CF built for lapsteel, or even better, a CF weissenborn.
Great ideas tdq!!! Either would be awesome with hollow chambers & maybe a MISI pickup!!! Good Dreams Amigo...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-29-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Great ideas tdq!!! Either would be awesome with hollow chambers & maybe a MISI pickup!!! Good Dreams Amigo...
When I had the Lucky13 for a week I actually tried it with a nut extender and played some lap slide on it, thought it sounded really good - maybe it was the hollow neck? - since then I've always thought a CF weissenborn could be a great thing. I've since got myself a wooden one..
And yes, Evan, a CF Cigar Box Guitar - although I don't think I'd have the tools.

A CF tenor guitar by Emerald would make sense, too, while we're throwing out ideas.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

What I'd really like is a nylon string electric guitar along the lines of a Danelectro U2, a thin body, acoustic electric guitar. The U2 was an inexpensive, marvelous instrument--light, powerful, easy to play. I think American CF makers have missed the boat by not making some clean CF electric guitars. CA did an electric, but there some problems and the guitar was heavy and a short run.

A U2-like electric would be less expensive than an acoustic/electric and would open up a whole new market for CF instruments. Steel string, or nylon, a U2-like electric guitar would be cool.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I think American CF makers have missed the boat by not making some clean CF electric guitars. CA did an electric, but there some problems and the guitar was heavy and a short run.
At 6 lbs., the Composite Acoustics/Composite Electrics Blade is lighter than the averave Tele or Strat, and much lighter than a lot of LPs.

Although the company had problems (didnt they suffer because of a hurricane?), the guitars themselves weren't bad.

Maybe there's an archive around of the Macnichol forums where there was a lot of back and forth during the design and release phases.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Guest 928

I just found another possible CF option. While looking through the new Sweetwater catalogue (something I swore I would stop doing) I ran across a 4-stringed, necked, dulcimer. My first thought in seeing the picture was that here is an interesting, unusual looking musical instrument.

I ordered the dulcimer and plan on messing with it, with different tunings and a pickup of some sort.

What this thread seems to suggest is that maybe all musical instruments would be cool in CF.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I think harmonicas would be cool in carbon fiber. What about other wind instruments, even a sax?

Edit: Just to add, I don't really play either of those, though I like to dabble with harps at times, of which I have a few Hohners. I just think composite materials can be used and voiced these days to construct pretty much any musical instrument.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-06-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 PM

Building on that, my wife has a plastic flute that sounds quite good for the price. It is probably injection molded polystyrene and was under $150. The same thing built using laid up CF would probably be $800 or even more.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Building on that, my wife has a plastic flute that sounds quite good for the price. It is probably injection molded polystyrene and was under $150. The same thing built using laid up CF would probably be $800 or even more.
Yes Earl the price is probably more...but think of that SOUND!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 10-07-2016, 05:21 AM

I'm not convinced it would sound better, and maybe not even all that different. The plastic flute sounds much like her metal flutes. It is not clear what CF brings to the party..... It has interesting properties but is not magical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber