The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2008, 04:06 PM

Default G string sounds slightly dead -- common causes?

The G string on my GAD-50 isn't quite as lively as the other five. Exaggerating for effect, the other 5 strings make a "brrrng" sound when strummed, whereas the G string makes a slightly muted "brump" sound. The effect is subtle (I owned the guitar for a month before I ever noticed it), but once heard it became hard to ignore.

Changing strings doesn't help, so evidently it's an issue with the guitar itself.

I don't care about getting this fixed--again, it's pretty minor--but my interest is piqued because I can't figure out why one string would sound different. Could the nut be bad? The saddle? The bridge pin? Anyone know what might cause this?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm not great with these things but check the saddle for any wear and tear on that string. Also check and see if the nut slot for that string is too large or small for the string.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I'm not great with these things but check the saddle for any wear and tear on that string. Also check and see if the nut slot for that string is too large or small for the string.
I would agree, it's either the saddle or the nut.

2018 Taylor 412CE
2010 Blueridge BR-163A - Adi/EIR/K&K
Epiphone EF500-M
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM

You might also make sure the ball end of the string is snug against the under side of the bridge.

Denny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion