The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-19-2016, 05:35 PM

Hey Steve, did you get a chance to play the maple Somogyi Sj
You can compare it with the Kostals or Somogy guitar you played before or ... close to?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I've owned a BRW model R and was lucky enough to play this guitar today.

To be honest, any "difference" between the two is probably more due to the fact that mine was 10 years older and well played-in, whereas this one is brand spanking new, than the woods used to build it.

It was the best guitar I played today (with the possible exception of a wonderful Claxton). It was in some very exalted company - pretty much every guitar I played was impressive - but the thing that separates the Traugott from the rest is it's unbelievable refinement and balance.

I think they're rather like a very fine nylon string - they have that Hauseresque balance where no one string or note dominates another, and all sound even and clear. The Traugott is not at all like a Somogyi MD, which bashes you over the head with it's ear-catching subterranean bass and singing trebles that sustain forever. No, this is a like a very fine, aged claret. Refined and balanced and just...beautiful. The only thing I can find negative about it is that I can't afford it!

One of the best guitars I've ever played.

Cheers,
Steve

I got to play your Traugott albeit very briefly, and I concur with your comments above, it put me very much in mind of a classical guitar,
and that quality is reflected in the aesthetic as well.
Its interesting that Claxton who builds with a similar visual refinement produces an instrument of similar qualities, if that is what you saying Steve having never played one myself ?

Regards Tony
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Its interesting that Claxton who builds with a similar visual refinement produces an instrument of similar qualities, if that is what you saying Steve having never played one myself ?
Yes Tony. I place Claxton and Traugott in the same small group of two. The guitars have a similar build quality, aesthetic and - most importantly - they sound very similar to my ears: refined, detailed, and balanced.

All the Claxtons I have played have been spectacular with a very consistent "House" tone. I find that a little surprising since the b/s woods have varied hugely (ebony, walnut, mahogany), but the core sound is right there. The mahogany one was especially surprising since it wasn't at all "dry and woody". Sounded more like a great rosewood guitar to my ears as I recall. I guess it's down to Mr. Claxton being a phenomenal luthier?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisczech View Post
Hey Steve, did you get a chance to play the Strahm guitar?
Yes. That was my main incentive to take the trip down to TAMCO since I've never played a Strahm before and I was intrigued to see if I could get a Traugott for a quarter of the price. It was a great guitar both build and sonically, no question about that, but there is a reason why the Traugott costs what it does...unfortunately! Back on Planet Earth, I'd be more than happy with the Strahm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie View Post
Hey Steve, did you get a chance to play the maple Somogyi Sj
You can compare it with the Kostals or Somogy guitar you played before or ... close to?
Yes I did play that as well. It's an SJ and in maple so difficult to make direct comparisons. A very good guitar no doubt.

I do find visits to TAMCO a little confusing, and I was mentioning this to a fellow customer yesterday as I sat confronted by a line of spectacular instruments. Comparing a great guitar with a sh*tty one is easy. Comparing two great guitars that differ tonally and often marginally can be difficult and fatiguing. That multiplies exponentially when you add others into the mix. Trevor has walls full of fabulous instruments and it's just very difficult to rank them when the overall quality is so high; yesterday I played one guitar that I really did not like, just one. Two were astonishing IMHO (Traugott and Claxton). The rest...all great guitars. If you can get there, I'd very highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-20-2016, 06:55 PM

How interesting that those two astonishing (IMHO too!) builders, work a hundred yards from each other in Santa Cruz. Small world, great guitars.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 AM

Here is a video.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Nice... Very nice!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:20 AM

Sold to a very happy customer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop