The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasser View Post
You know, a lot of time, I think a lot of it comes down to, someone wants to sell you a nearly new instrument for a nearly new price (sans warranty of course), and that concept holds no interest for me.

My number one pet peeve, "New price is $XXX [insert Guitar Center price or highest documented asking price from the internet], but I'll let it go for [price plus or minus $100 of new from a reputable dealer for someone who knows anything]."

That's the one that I see all the time...

While I'm sorry that people pay too much for their guitars, I can't afford to reimburse them out of my pocket...

And if you tell them the price you can buy new, so you can only offer them
a fair price based on that figure, they act like you're a thief committing armed robbery...
Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Can't argue with you that tone is subjective, but it would be a major disqualification for me to hear that from a seller.

When I was buying acoustic guitars there was only one I played for 10 min., and it was the worst dog I ever owned. I base my statement on that experience. A "10 min" guitar is a red flag every time.
And that guitar may now be someone else's favorite
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM

I've said something very similar in an ad, and it was true.

I once ordered a custom Martin guitar and paid for it in full. During the six months (!) it took to build the guitar, I got into a bit of a financial bind and I knew I'd have to sell the guitar as soon as I received it.

When the guitar arrived I couldn't resist playing it for, well, about 20 minutes. Then I thought I'd better put it safely back in the case before I accidentally put a scratch or ding in it. And while I needed to play it for a bit to describe its tone in my ad, I was determined to sell it as "mint" to get as much money as possible for it.

Also, I didn't want to discover how much I loved the guitar before selling it.

The guitar sold in 3 days...

...and I don't really miss it because I didn't bond with it before letting it go.

So you see, it's not always BS. Sometimes it's true.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion