The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar should I purchase?
D'Angelico Premier Fulton 4 25.00%
Breedlove Pursuit Concert 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Eel View Post
Thanks for your input, Griff599. I don't think Blueridge makes any 12-strings smaller than a dreadnought, which is what I need.

The D’Angelico has the ugliest headstock ever. That's not a personal preference -- several scientific experiments prove it. That and the fact she has Rosewood back and sides instead of mahogany make my decision difficult.

The Breedlove is winning the poll 8 to 1.
Yes that DA does have a gaudy headstock. Possibly ugly. But if you like different it fits the bill. My BL has the old square headstock and I'm glad.
As I've stated, I'm biased, but I think the BL would be hard to beat. Good luck to you and enjoy your search.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-12-2018 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Decision made:

I discovered a great deal on the D'Angelico, one that costs $110 less than the Breedlove. That, and the fact that it has rosewood instead of mahogany in it, and that its body is larger than the Breedlove's, were the decisive factors. Yes, the headstock is hideous. But I'll just put a paper bag over it. The place I'm getting it from has a 45-day return policy.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I learned some things and even laughed out loud a few times.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-12-2018 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 02-16-2018, 08:31 AM

I am a fool. I didn't listen to you; I ignored the 10 to 1 poll that favored the Breedlove.

I ordered the D'Angelico Fulton and regret it. It's a fine instrument with shockingly low action and precise intonation up and down the neck, and its lucid rumbling bass recalls the funky snap of a werewolf's jaws. Its twinned treble strings will light up the mutli-colored diamonds in your mind like iridescent fireflies. And its onboard tuner is accurate and fast. The bridge pins are attractive and look like they couldn't be any easier to remove.

Why am I getting rid of? Because the width of its upper bout make my picking/strumming hand numb whenever I play it. As many of you know, Grand Auditoriums have a slimmer mid-section thant Dreadnoughts, but the upper and lower bouts are the same, at least in this case.

I expect a full refund, but sending it back via the USPS store won't be cheap. The box it came in could've had the Eiffel Tower inside.

Once the money is back in my bank, I'll do what many of you suggested from the beginning: Get the Breedlove.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:58 PM

Smile To each his own...

I've had a D'Angelico Brooklyn Excel for about a year now. Got a great price..(I don't think the seller understood the difference between the Premier and the Excel lines). Just love it.

Played some Breedlove, Seagull six strings at Guitar Center since they only had two Acoustic 12-Strings in the Acoustic inventory, and they both sucked..(Ibanez and Dean). Neither even slightly impressed me, in the $400 to $600 range.

Found out through Email with the Sales Manager in New York the Premier Fulton 12's were not being made anymore due to the new Tariff and Trade wars..(Rosewood, apparently)..so there was no telling when they would be re-stocked, and the plan for an Excel 12 was going back to be redesigned.

Found a (apparently hard to find) Fulton 12 (Premier) and took a chance online..($469 delivered)..figured I could return it if it was bad. No way is it going back. Love it as well.

Beautiful sound and action outta the box. Will have GC set it up when I need new strings..(Elixer Nano's).. but wow, I could not be happier with the quality for this price..really shocked at what you can get with D'A's for the price. Very nice guitar!, and, it seems, to be the last of it's kind, with all that Rosewood and what-not.

First post here, but just wanted to give my $0.02 on the subject. I understand everyone is different in their preferences, just wanted to give D'Angelico a fair shake for the posters who have never actually played one.

Would love to know @Acoustic Eel how the Breedlove has worked out for you. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM

To be honest the D'Angelico just based on the look, but with that budget I would look for a used Guild 212 or 312.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion