The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Default Yamaha LL16 vs LS16

Hey All,

I've been (oddly) GASing over the Yamaha L-Series lately. I like the aesthetics and quality to price ratio. I currently use a cedar-topped dread but I probably strum 40-50% of the time and the top is taking some real wear. I thought about adding one of these to my arsenal as a live alternate.

I feel compelled to go the LS16 route as it's the "better" fingerpicker (or it's intended to be) but the bass seems a little too light for my taste. That said, I rather like how lush and balanced the LL is BUT I'm like "dang, do I need another dread?"

Does anyone own these two or have any experience with both? Love to get some insight.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 AM

For slightly different reason, I am waiting somewhat impatiently for the re-introduction of the LJ16's. The best of both worlds. More bass and better balance than either of the others. The LJ16 BC's are in stores now but $999 is a little out of my price range.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-13-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
For slightly different reason, I am waiting somewhat impatiently for the re-introduction of the LJ16's. The best of both worlds. More bass and better balance than either of the others. The LJ16 BC's are in stores now but $999 is a little out of my price range.
Yeah, those are nice looking and I'm not usually a jumbo kinda guy but it did seem to balance the two nicely. I'm in agreement that the Corgan model isn't my jam.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I've had both and much prefer the LL body for its tone....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-13-2017, 01:57 PM

I really love Yamahas but I sold my LS16R for that very reason - just too shallow without the bass end I like.

The LS16 is a great guitar - sounded very nice, built very well, and nice looking. I just thought the sound was too quiet and I prefer the dreads for the bass end.

Personal preference is the only reason I sold it. If you like the dreads, you should go with the LL - will be very different from your cedar top and a nice variation but will have the dread low end you will enjoy.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 11-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Go used and get both

They are very different guitars and if you are GASing for them I can pretty much guarantee you won't be satisfied unless you have both.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Looks like AGF has informed me there's another guitar I need...

Billy Corgan and The Smashing Pumpkins were extremely inspirational to me to begin my guitar journey back in 1995-1996...

I've been really interested in an LS16M - but now I think I might "need" one of the LJ16 BCs...

Thanks a lot, AGF!

Old 11-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I really love Yamahas but I sold my LS16R for that very reason - just too shallow without the bass end I like.

The LS16 is a great guitar - sounded very nice, built very well, and nice looking. I just thought the sound was too quiet and I prefer the dreads for the bass end.

Personal preference is the only reason I sold it. If you like the dreads, you should go with the LL - will be very different from your cedar top and a nice variation but will have the dread low end you will enjoy.
I have, seemingly, preferred the sound samples I've heard of the LL and when compared to most dreads (with the exception of my cedar top) it does sound better for fingerpicking then many. The bass seems lesser than most dreads but not as thin as the LS16

I don't doubt it'll sound significantly different than my cedar top and it will probably be rather different than my Guild spruce/rosewood dread. I have been leaning LL but I wanted some opinions on that matter.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 PM

I have the LL6 and sent back LS6. Little different from what you asked about except I will add this:

Play the LL first for size considerations (you may done that already----if so ignore rest)........

I don't care what anyone says, the LL models are shaped different than the FG models and other Dreads enough so much so that I'm having to change my posture. It's not major, just enough to bug me. It's a great sounding guitar and I will adjust because of that, but the shape is different enough that I would have gone with the FG830 if I had known first. I bought without playing one first and I will never, ever do that again.

Good points:
Sounds beautiful (good and deep)
Nut is perfect (between 1 11/16 and 1 3/4)

Jed
Old 11-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
Go used and get both

They are very different guitars and if you are GASing for them I can pretty much guarantee you won't be satisfied unless you have both.
My wife might kick me out if I purchased two up front without divesting of, at least, two and I don't have anything else I'm willing to sell right now.

Except maybe my Strats...
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 11-14-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
The LJ16 has been available in Europe for a long time now. I'm surprised it hasn't appeared in the US.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Hey All,

I've been (oddly) GASing over the Yamaha L-Series lately. I like the aesthetics and quality to price ratio. I currently use a cedar-topped dread but I probably strum 40-50% of the time and the top is taking some real wear. I thought about adding one of these to my arsenal as a live alternate.

I feel compelled to go the LS16 route as it's the "better" fingerpicker (or it's intended to be) but the bass seems a little too light for my taste. That said, I rather like how lush and balanced the LL is BUT I'm like "dang, do I need another dread?"

Does anyone own these two or have any experience with both? Love to get some insight.
It isn't odd to GAS over a great guitar! The LS is smaller with a brighter tone and probably wouldn't have been my first choice from new, BUT Yamaha 'L' series (and I have owned several), mellow considerably over a few months.
I use my LL16 A.R.E for pretty much everything. Being a modified dread with a different body shape, it suffers none of the sometimes overblown bass you hear in many dreads. It also features, like all the 'L' series, a slipper heel neck join which (I'm told), contributes to better balance.
I agree with an earlier poster who suggested the ideal compromise could be the LJ16 medium jumbo. I have the '6' with laminate b/s and it works equally well for fingerstyle and plectrum work. Here's the '6': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a99z5LX8v0
And amplified: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sg2...=RD4sg2Qfc-i68
More on the LJ6 and LL16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJO3vOgVdU

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-14-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM

The LJ16 does seem like the best compromise of the two but unfortunately, it's difficult to find in the US. I think I might go with the LL16 if I don't find a LJ16 suddenly for a steal of a price.

Now, the tough call is whether to get the LL16 or the LL16D. That abalone trim is nice but I don't know if it's 200 bucks more "nice." Kinda depends on whether the guitar is better or the aesthetics are just better.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
The LJ16 does seem like the best compromise of the two but unfortunately, it's difficult to find in the US. I think I might go with the LL16 if I don't find a LJ16 suddenly for a steal of a price.

Now, the tough call is whether to get the LL16 or the LL16D. That abalone trim is nice but I don't know if it's 200 bucks more "nice." Kinda depends on whether the guitar is better or the aesthetics are just better.
The 16 and 16D are identical except for the increased bling on the D. Save the 200.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM

Several stores in Canada have the LJ16's. LA Music is one. I am uncertain whether the Rosewood back and sides would have trouble at the border due to CITES.

I do not know why stores in the USA don't carry them.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ll16, yamaha