The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Cheap acoustic guitar recording solutions?

I'm an acoustic guitarist, and looking to do some recording. At this point in time, I would only be recording acoustic guitar. I need some way of recording multiple tracks- not simultaneously though. I don't want to spend more then $500 to get some good gear to do this with

After doing some research, it seems to be the consensus that the Zoom H4 is the unit to beat. However, I'm also kind of curious if I couldn't just buy some software and a unit that can plug into my computer. Is there anything that plugs into a USB port, has an out for a microphone, and also for headphones so that I can listen to a track while I'm recording another one?

The main things that I'm really concerned about are recording quality, ease of use (Must record in some format like .WAV or .MP3 or something widespread like that I can easily upload onto the internet), and something that is easily compatible with recording software. I just don't know if a field recorder or some other sort of set up would be better, and also which would be more economical.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 AM

This device, a good microphone, recording software and a good headphone set is all you need.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Pro_USB.html

Recording formats are determined by the software and the preferences you select. Audacity is a free but capable program for recording. It is available in PC and Mac versions although, if you have a Mac you might want to start out with GarageBand which Apple provides free of charge. GarageBand is easy enough to use that you can get surprisingly good results on your first or second try.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
This device, a good microphone, recording software and a good headphone set is all you need.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Pro_USB.html

Recording formats are determined by the software and the preferences you select. Audacity is a free but capable program for recording. It is available in PC and Mac versions although, if you have a Mac you might want to start out with GarageBand which Apple provides free of charge. GarageBand is easy enough to use that you can get surprisingly good results on your first or second try.
That's exactly what I had in mind, I'll definately look into it. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 AM

I use a Boss BR-600 (check it out). I'm likely going to pop for the recently announced BR-800 as I'm often recording a duo. I went the computer route with a USB 2.0 interface, but it was more hassle than it was worth constantly trying to deal with latency issues (and I have spent 35 years working with computers!).

With the Boss I can output via USB to my PC, and use Reaper to edit, do some signal processing, add effects, etc. There are editing functions on the BR600, too, but the interface is difficult.

Others that might fit your bill ... Tascam DP02 (great price at Sweetwater right now!).
Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 PM

how about this one?

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1917
Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
That's exactly what I had in mind, I'll definately look into it. Thanks!

That will work with any dynamic mic but not a condenser. For a condensor
you'll need a microphone preamp.

There are USB mics made that plug straight in without the need of a USB
adaptor. They're quite cheap. Google it.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
That will work with any dynamic mic but not a condenser. For a condensor
you'll need a microphone preamp.

There are USB mics made that plug straight in without the need of a USB
adaptor. They're quite cheap. Google it.
The MXL MicMate Pro is intended for condenser microphones. It has a 48-volt, phantom power supply; an analog to digital converter, a mic preamp and headphone jack (for zero latency monitoring); all powered by the USB bus. With it one is free to use any microphone unlike USB mics.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 AM

There are a number of USB audio interfaces on the market. I'm in the market for one myself as I had to return the Omega (in my sig) to my ex-employer (long story).

I'm looking at buying another Omega, but I'm also looking at some M-Audio units:
Fast Track Pro
Fast Track MKII
MobilePre

as well as PreSonus:
AudioBox

EDIT: add this Focusrite unit too: Saffire 6

I'm also considering a USB mixer from Behringer:
XENYX-X1204

I too will be recording acoustic guitar but I also have passive pickups in my guitars. I will do both pickup and mic recordings.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics

Last edited by rhancox; 04-07-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM

These are by far (imho, of course) the very best, most versatile units around.... http://www.tascam.com/products/dp-004.html

Their portability is great as are their interfaces and are VERY simple. The internal mikes are fabulous and sensitive..good for "sketch pads" of practice/writing sessions.

The USB 122 (the older, more "studio /fixed") ones are quite good and uses Cubasis software included. They tend to be more complex but, offer a wide range of possibilities....so many choices. so little time....
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Hi Rilo…
A great unit which you can grow with and that comes with software (and only costs $150) and will leave you buck-a-roos for a couple good mics is the Lexicon Lambda. It is USB...

Lambda - click

And an inexpensive mic combo from MXL, CAD or Behringer is a great matchup to it. You'd still be under your budget...

It's the size of a couple paperback books on a bookshelf - has dialable latency bypass and great monitoring capability. It's simple and works like a mixer as well as the interface (and has really decent preamps).

I’ve heard some really great recordings done on these little fellows...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM

reaper daw = $ 60.00 (with a lengthy free trial)
mxl 604 mic = $ 100.00
any number of firewire or usb interfaces = $ 150.00ish

and you are good to go. just make sure your computer can handle the hardware and software. if it is no older than 3 years, it should do just fine.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

I use a Tascam US-122. It works fine. I use two mics, a AKG Perception 150 and a Rodes NT-5. The only problem with using a USB recorder is the fan noise from the computer. I did have a H4 (stupidly plugged in the wrong ac adapter and burnt it out) and I got excellent recordings with it. The H4 has two built in mics and two xlr inputs for using external mics. If I had to do it all over again, I would forego the USB unit and go with a stand alone unit like the H4.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use a Tascam US-122. It works fine. I use two mics, a AKG Perception 150 and a Rodes NT-5. The only problem with using a USB recorder is the fan noise from the computer. I did have a H4 (stupidly plugged in the wrong ac adapter and burnt it out) and I got excellent recordings with it. The H4 has two built in mics and two xlr inputs for using external mics. If I had to do it all over again, I would forego the USB unit and go with a stand alone unit like the H4.
Interesting point. I've used the Lexicon Omega for over a year, with a laptop however, and I've never heard any noise from the computer in my recordings. Now, the fan only comes on here and there, but it's never been an issue. I also have the laptop on one side of my desk area and the interface on the other side.

BTW: I decided on the Saffire 6 for $199. Nobody is selling it for any other price so it's not like quoting the price is giving anyone a special plug over another. Should arrive later this week. Can't wait.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD