The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Guest 2143

Default Recording in studio for 1st time - advice?

I have been performing live for a long time in duos without stepping foot inside a studio so this is going to be very foreign to me. Any tips/advice/suggestions for preparing before I go in or what to do/not do while I am there would be much appreciated. In case it matters, it will be me and a vocalist recording mostly prewar blues songs (Bessie Smith, Ida Cox, Memphis Minnie, Robert Johnson, John Hurt, etc.) and some originals. I will play an acoustic guitar and a resonator and provide minimal background vocals. My partner will only sing. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide - I really need it.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm a recording engineer who used to be in leadershiop here at the AGF. I built a whole site to answer questions for folks like you. Go HERE, navigate to frames, and select RECORDINMG TOPICS. The first item is "Hints for your first recording session." I hope you find something useful.

Bottled water and a camera. Remember that.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I'm a recording engineer who used to be in leadershiop here at the AGF. I built a whole site to answer questions for folks like you. Go HERE, navigate to frames, and select RECORDINMG TOPICS. The first item is "Hints for your first recording session." I hope you find something useful.

Bottled water and a camera. Remember that.

Bob
Thanks so much!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

My pleasure!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
My pleasure!
I read the material on your site - very helpful. There is one detail that particularly concerns me about recording. I am told I will be wearing headphones when I play and positioned in a separate room from the vocalist. I assume I will hear her and myself through them. This is going to be odd. I hope I do not screw up too much!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I read the material on your site - very helpful. There is one detail that particularly concerns me about recording. I am told I will be wearing headphones when I play and positioned in a separate room from the vocalist. I assume I will hear her and myself through them. This is going to be odd. I hope I do not screw up too much!
If you have and can monitor your PA thru a headphone out ? you might want to give that a go first to get used to the sound. Also ask the studio if the vocals are going to actually be tracked while you are playing or just going to be mic-ed into the headphone mix to track the instruments, then be over dubed later . If so then ask if the engineer wants to use a click track ? if he does , you might want to get a cheap metronome and practice playing to a click also... But no matter what HAVE FUN

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Just don't adjust the headphones too loud. Two things happen:
1. You begin to micro analyze your playing and get lost in technique.
2. You begin to play "defensively" to prevent volume spikes that you subconsciously think might rip a hole in your ear.

Vocalistas with 'phones too loud do a couple of things:
1. They go flat.
2. They begin singing quietly to prevent ripping their own heads off. That ends up causing breathiness. If you WANT breathiness, here's a way to get it. If not, it's hard to prevent it at high SPLs.

Some people can't handle the split rooms thing. It helps to have eye contact. Work with the engineer to take charge of the environment.

Bob

Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Guest 2143

Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it. A few people I spoke with who know what we are trying to accomplish suggested that I do not use a click track. They said if I am not used to one it could really mess me up when I am playing. I have heard about some of the pros and cons of playing in the same room/separate rooms, but still do not know which is best for me and my partner. She has recorded in a studio before, so I don't think she is as concerned about it as I am. I just don't know how I will do in the studio setting. I do know that I am about to find out...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Vocalistas with 'phones too loud do a couple of things:

1. They go flat.
2. They begin singing quietly to prevent ripping their own heads off. That ends up causing breathiness.

Bob
Three words, Bob:

You

Are

Awesome!

That explains SO MUCH of what I've experienced over the last year of hobbyist home recording. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hehehe... My pleasure. I'm doin' music sessions today as well. Got the mics on sticks with their lines checked. I'm waiting for the drum kit to load in. Now we're having some fun...

Bob

Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it. A few people I spoke with who know what we are trying to accomplish suggested that I do not use a click track. They said if I am not used to one it could really mess me up when I am playing. I have heard about some of the pros and cons of playing in the same room/separate rooms, but still do not know which is best for me and my partner. She has recorded in a studio before, so I don't think she is as concerned about it as I am. I just don't know how I will do in the studio setting. I do know that I am about to find out...
Using a click can be uncomfortable if you have not practiced it . If you are not used to it and don't have time to practice with a metronome first, then it's probably not a good idea to start using a click for the first time, while recording for the first time also. I am speaking from experience.. And it is really only an issue if your tracking instruments and vocals separately. i.e (music first, vocals second) even in this case if the vocalist doesn't have a problem with the timing then it is again not an issue. As far as separate rooms, you and your partner must decide which method is best for you. The pros for separate rooms is more for the technical aspect in the ease of mixing and processing the vocals and guitar each separately and optimally . However many many famous recordings have been made in a live type setting where the bleed is a minor issue and the performance aspect outweighs the technical ideal. There is no plugin or hardware that can replicate the vibe of musicians feeding off each other and in the pocket.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Bob, I had no idea about that site of yours - fantastic! Thanks for taking time to set up that resource.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm glad to help!

Bob

Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I wrote an article a while back for Acoustic Guitar titled "How To Prepare for a Recording Session", which might be helpful:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...rticleid=24370

This article was actually prompted by Anton Emery posting exactly the same question you posted. Teja Gerken, at AG, noticed the question and suggested we do an article that captured many of the responses. So Anton's picture's in the article, and in a nice coincidence, he just announce the release of his completed first CD.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Guest 2143

Thanks for all the help. Now if things don't go well in the studio I can blame all of you instead of my own deficiencies Seriously, I appreciate the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD