The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 05:50 AM

Default 2018 V Class 914 vs 2017 914 Video (HQ)

I just found this video comparison. A few comments:
- I like Taylors. I like Martins. I like guitars.
- yes, they are guitar shop, they are trying to sell guitars.
- he does say that when he first played the new V class, he thought it was good because all 914s are good, but he didn't find it to be anything spectacular...until he actually compared it with the 2017. At least it is an honest answer.
- to my over-the-ear headphones, the 2018 sounds warmer and bigger. Yet both sound quite good. I don't think one sounds necessarily better than the other, just different.
- I have not played one physically. That is always the true measure.
- Quite the bold gamble by Taylor to fully commit to an entirely new bracing system because it is different (regardless of whether one likes it or not). It's a gamble. Sometimes people comment that every Taylor sounds alike despite the wood. There is a measure of truth to that IMO. I wonder if this new bracing system will change that dynamic to allow the fundamental tone of the guitar to come through more than the previous bracing?? If so, maybe that is a good thing.

Skip to 8:20 to hear the comparisons. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS0ZPNb2_NE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion