The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
They can be found here in the States for $1200-$1500 all day long. Of course they are significantly more scarce in Oz that they are here, so that has an effect on price as well.

And you get to see and play it before you buy so I say go for it. If you like it why not, it's only money
Thanks, yeah why not. LOL Yeah they seem very scarce over here especially a good condition one, I'll see what brings. Cheers heaps.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Like everything else, the adj saddle is going to be subjective, and from my experience, their poor reputation has more to do with Gibson's crappy quality control of that era than anything.

When I bought my 65 Epi Texan, I also had the choice of four 60s J 45s, two of which were dogs. The shop had put fixed saddles in both of them hoping to make them better. The other two were pretty nice, but the Texan blew them away, ceramic adj saddle and all.

New Gibsons sound too pretty for me. Miles away from the classic banner sound. The Texan comes close.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-11-2018, 09:37 PM

I've played several vintage B-25's, they are nice, but still a distance to be great - I think that may have something to do with their historical positioning - an affordable student model. However, if you like the way they sound, you can try to find a recent reissue (Gibson did a batch in 2012, under the Icon 60's series). Built with modern techniques by Gibson custom shop, they have a much better quality. I own a B-25 3/4 reissue, love it so much.

(I just had a search on ebay, they are very expensive though)

Last edited by hillin; 03-11-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Like everything else, the adj saddle is going to be subjective, and from my experience, their poor reputation has more to do with Gibson's crappy quality control of that era than anything.

When I bought my 65 Epi Texan, I also had the choice of four 60s J 45s, two of which were dogs. The shop had put fixed saddles in both of them hoping to make them better. The other two were pretty nice, but the Texan blew them away, ceramic adj saddle and all.

New Gibsons sound too pretty for me. Miles away from the classic banner sound. The Texan comes close.
Cheers Brick, ha ha ha well that says it all doesn't it. I don't know enough about these adj. saddles never owned a guitar that has one before. I think you just have to be lucky. Hopefully this guitar sounds good.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillin View Post
I've played several vintage B-25's, they are nice, but still a distance to be great - I think that may have something to do with their historical positioning - an affordable student model. However, if you like the way they sound, you can try to find a recent reissue (Gibson did a batch in 2012, under the Icon 60's series). Built with modern techniques by Gibson custom shop, they have a much better quality. I own a B-25 3/4 reissue, love it so much.

(I just had a search on ebay, they are very expensive though)
Thanks hillin........actually what started out on my search for a Gibbie was a LG-1 I heard and fell madly in love with the tone but decided the bracing on the B25 was more appealing. I saw this B25 and the cond. it was in on ebay and decided to go for it. 90% of all my guitars are Martin's never thought I'd take a diff. path but I'm liking these Gibson tone very much. I'll see what brings tomorrow when I get to see it and play it. Cheers mate.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 AM

I have a 64 Epi Cortez which is the exact same guitar as a B25... but I got it for $750 US as it had a headstock repair and had a bridge replacement (thank god)

Greatest 750 dollar guitar EVER.

For right price a great guitar but they are VERY hit and miss and i'd swap the adj bridge if it still has it... although my student has the same 64 B25 with the original bridge and it sounds good.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-18-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM

I think the B25s are really cool little guitars. Of the ones I've heard (never got to play one) only one sounded great. Hoping this one does too!
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion