The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-08-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I want even grain spacing and I dont care if its tight. I want even color of the overall top and grains. Of course with a master 1/4d and no runout. I know that physical properties cannot be pre-determined even if asked for because of the limitations of the sawyer. Hes looking at the plate not in it. Same goes for retailers it seems. What Id like is if I could get a top from a builder with empathy for my situation.
sounds like a trip to the wood yard is in store.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I want even grain spacing and I dont care if its tight. I want even color of the overall top and grains. Of course with a master 1/4d and no runout. I know that physical properties cannot be pre-determined even if asked for because of the limitations of the sawyer. Hes looking at the plate not in it. Same goes for retailers it seems. What Id like is if I could get a top from a builder with empathy for my situation.
If you want to know 100% that your plates have no run-out, buy a billet and split it yourself. That's the ONLY way to truly know. The second best way is to deal with someone that ONLY deals with top woods. There's a thread in the Custom Shop section of one individual from Germany who sells top woods in many different grades.

I've used Sitka spruce from aircraft spar stock to resaw for tops, and at that thickness it's a lot easier to see what the grain is doing. I had a special sled for my thickness planer that could tilt the board so that the grain was as parallel to the table as I could get it. Then I'd resaw from that planed side and was pretty successful. That said, I'm not too snobbish on it, and overall appearance and lateral stiffness are a bit more important to me. But yeah, I'd rather have a board that's slightly rift but very little to no runout than a perfectly 90-degree quartered board with medullary all over, with excessive runout. But if the FAA says a wing spar can tolerate 25:1 runout, then it should be good enough for a guitar!

Of course, what others here neglect to consider is that this may be a requisite of a client, and in that case, I'd do my best to accommodate that request. Educating can only go so far, and can alienate some folks. Oh well...
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Ive not been able to find actual master grade Euro tops so Im wondering if anyone here has one to sell. I found a couple of sawyers that claimed to have master but they turned out to be 3A. Ethics doesnt exist on the open market.

Can we revisit your original post a bit? What qualities were claimed as master but turned out to be 3A, and by what measure?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair