The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2018, 10:06 AM

Default the importance of pushing yourself

This will probably sound like a no brainer to most of the members but there may be a few folks who have found themselves in the same rut I have been in.

I have been playing a few years (I'm 68 and got a very late start) and over that time I have learned a number of tunes that I am pretty happy with. As I have progressed and tried more advanced pieces that didn't come so easily I would get frustrated and fall back to what I was comfortable with. I made up my mind that this year I would definitely learn how to play these tunes. My playing time is typically in the morning and so now I only allow a certain amount of time for my old favorites to warm up with and then spend at least a half hour on newer and more difficult ones. This is beginning to make a tremendous difference in my playing and I am certain many of you are thinking, well duh, of course it would.

For those you who get frustrated easily and and resort to what you are comfortable with, will hopefully gain some inspiration and press on to learn those songs that have given you fits.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Hi Young'un!

looking back on my extremely disorganised progress on guitar, I can remember times when whether it was the playing or the singing I met pieces that I really wanted to do, but wasn't at that level.

After getting really frustrated (almost) to the point of throwing the guitar across the room, I decided to create a little file of songs I wanted to o and just leave them for a while and concentrate on other aspects - like cleaning up ones I could do, improving my stage skills etc.,etc.

Often when I went back to that file , a year or more , it often occurred to me to look at the piece different and maybe change the key or the positioning of the progression etc.

Slowly I amassed a considerable repertoire with my solo, duo, trio and bluegrass band reps I had a pretty enormous collection.

Then, in January last year, they told me I had throat/tongue cancer. Well its been frankly disgustingly awful but I'm heading our the other side but it has changed my voice considerably.

Now a month before my 70th, there are many songs that I can no longer sing ...... yet.

You'll get there, we'll both get there.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy View Post
This will probably sound like a no brainer to most of the members but there may be a few folks who have found themselves in the same rut I have been in.

I have been playing a few years (I'm 68 and got a very late start) and over that time I have learned a number of tunes that I am pretty happy with. As I have progressed and tried more advanced pieces that didn't come so easily I would get frustrated and fall back to what I was comfortable with. I made up my mind that this year I would definitely learn how to play these tunes. My playing time is typically in the morning and so now I only allow a certain amount of time for my old favorites to warm up with and then spend at least a half hour on newer and more difficult ones. This is beginning to make a tremendous difference in my playing and I am certain many of you are thinking, well duh, of course it would.

For those you who get frustrated easily and and resort to what you are comfortable with, will hopefully gain some inspiration and press on to learn those songs that have given you fits.
Good post. Always remember that better is a rich relative you never seem to get the opportunity to meet in person.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Balance the time, effort and organization of play time with the satisfaction and fun you get out if.
Also a lot it not a forever payback. The more polished levels of skill you achieve with extra effort
are the first thing to go when you ease up.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Good post, I can tell you that since picking up the guitar again, after a 20 year hiatus, I wish I'd never put it down. Now I am more driven than ever to discover everything about it. Since 2015, I have progressed more than I ever did in the 1980s thru the early 1990s. I'm fortunate to live in Nashville, where the musicianship is at the top of the mark and I've been exposed to some great players. Discovered many tricks and work arounds that I would've never learned otherwise. Life is great and I am going to stick with it till I'm dead. I'm using muscles now that I never knew existed. When you learn a new style of play, the pain starts all over again, and that is how you progress to that next level and keep developing that muscle memory.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 AM

if the music you love demands it you push through, no discussion. Unless you just kinda like the music in which case you should really look for some better music.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Great post.

I aways try to "practice" something new or difficult for 5 or 10 minutes a day before I "play" stuff that I like and I am comfortable with. That is what I also suggest my students do.

Thanks for the post!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write