The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 10:40 PM

Default ♫ Properly Humidified = Great Tone ♪ ♫

Although my Taylor 110e is on the bottom rung of the Taylor lineup, and although it has laminated back and sides, properly humidifying it has improved its tone substantially. Over the last month I've posted questions about humidifying this instrument (starting with this thread) and received a number of excellent responses and have followed them. For a couple of weeks, I've used an Oasis soundhole humidifier in addition to sponges in a baggie by the headstock, along with an accurate (tested with the salt test) hygrometer that I picked up at Petsmart (of all places lol). The guitar has been kept at 45 rh in its Hiscox Pro II.

Especially in these last few days, the guitar has absolutely come out of hiding. It has developed a depth of tone and a pleasing "punchiness" that is really surprising. It's like a different guitar and has a stunning tone for such a modest instrument. Of course, I'm not saying it's in the neighborhood of high-end guitars further up the Taylor line, or from Martin or Gibson etc., but I'm tellin' you - a properly humidified guitar shines in the tone department. A big thanks to those that answered my earlier post(s)!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 PM

Interesting. It's always been the opposite for me. My de-humidified guitars always sound best. Around 30% is the magic tone mojo number for me. They might even sound better lower, but that's probably not a good idea, eh?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
Interesting. It's always been the opposite for me. My de-humidified guitars always sound best. Around 30% is the magic tone mojo number for me. They might even sound better lower, but that's probably not a good idea, eh?
Proving that beauty is in the ear of the beholder

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion