The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Yamaha info

Hoping someone out there has lots of knowledge on Yamaha,s lines. Specifically the A5 series vs say and LL 16. B+S undetermined at this point. I currently have an A3R and had thought getting an LL would be a trade off with better acoustics but less electronic ability. Seems like the new A5 offers more of what the LL had. ARE top, scalloped bracing, made in Japan, and the SRT preamp..

I'm really just wondering if there would be much difference acoustically between these two.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 PM

I can’t answer your specific question but can tell you I have been waiting for an AC5R for a total of about eight months. It seems they are really having difficulty getting the Rosewood models into the states because of the paperwork. I talked with Yamaha in California last week and they don’t have any idea when they will get them. Very frustrating. I’ve heard some great things about that particular guitar and am anxious to put it up against my Martin performing artistAnd my J 45 in a live situation. If it’s as good as advertised it will be one heck of a guitar for the money.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 01-14-2018, 08:41 PM

Yea I've heard lots of good things. I really love my A3R. I can get a little boomy in a mix without eq, but sounds fantastic finger picked and anything a acoustic. I'm think id like to get a mahogany guitar.

When I heard about the 5 series I thought "that sounds a lot like the LL with a preamp"

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 PM

My A5R is amazing. Sounds stellar unplugged. The new bracing and A.R.E. combine to make it a unremarkable guitar. Plugged in sounds terrific as well. The SRT2 is a simplified version of the SRT63.

I had an LL16M ARE. The only reason I sold it is because the plugged in tone wasn't what I usually go for. Yamaha eq'd the SRT zero impact pickup to have less low end and a more pronounced mid range. Unplugged, the LL16M sounded incredible. Perhaps a little better than the A5R.

The main differences between them is going to be the electronics and the neck. The A5R had very narrow string spacing. It was supposed to be 1 11/16" nut, but felt narrower than that to me, so I put an actual.1 11/16" Tusq nut on mine which helped. If you prefer the wider spacing, the LL neck has better spacing, but is chunkier.

I also own a gen 1 AC3R which I love, but the new models with updated bracing sound better acoustically.

If you're already happy with the A3R, keep it and enjoy the electronics and sweet neck. If you want something that sounds better unplugged and aren't going to play it so much plugged in, go for the LL16.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Yea I've heard lots of good things. I really love my A3R. I can get a little boomy in a mix without eq, but sounds fantastic finger picked and anything a acoustic. I'm think id like to get a mahogany guitar.

When I heard about the 5 series I thought "that sounds a lot like the LL with a preamp"
If you're after mahogany, the smaller AC5M sounded better than the A5R to my ears. I'm 6'2" and a rosewood nut, so I had to go for the A5R.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 PM

I'm mainly interested in adding a mahogany guitar. Open to the bigger or smaller size. Just wondered how they compare to the LL's. I do plug in but it's not my primary focus. Acoustics 1st, plugged in 2nd.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 PM

A few weeks back, I posted about a guitar that blew me away. $499 Cort Gold D6 solid mahogany b/s, Solid sitka top, scalloped bracing, aged top, Grover open gear tuners. Best sounding guitar I've ever played. It's not a Yamaha, but if I was after a 'hog guitar that I didn't need to plug in, I'd have bought it then and there.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Thanks for that bit. Might check it out. I could just add a pick up later if I wanted. But dang the SRT on the Yamaha is nice..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 PM

On a side note, anybody know who carries these Yamahas in store? I ordered my a3r on Musicians friend and turned out well but I prefer to play in person. I also live in Missouri 3 hrs from St Louis so anything is a bit of a hike

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 PM

I owned the Yamaha A3R for a little while but after I bought the Yamaha LL16m, I ended up selling it. I just really liked the sound of the LL16m better. I did have a K&K pure mini pick up installed in it though and also bought a K&K pure pre amp. My total cost on that was 300 bucks, but man what an awesome sounding pick up. I think it is one of the best pick ups I have ever heard. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 AM

Comparing the Gen 1 A series and L series, Id say your observation (where the A series is better plugged in and the L series is better acoustically) is valid. Like you said, the new ARE treated top and scalloped bracing brings the A series close to par with the L series. The A series is still by far superior plugged in.

2 things to consider that could sway you toward 1 or the other:
-Cutaway a must? Only on the A series
-Body shape. The A dreadnoughts are dreadnoughts, and the the LL's are '' original jumbo'' sized. Comparable in overall size, but minor changes here and there could make or break your pick.

On another note, having a 26,36 and 56 model, which are above the 16 model in the L series makes me wonder on whether they use use average pieces of wood in the build, and saving the better ones for the higher end models.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Comparing the Gen 1 A series and L series, Id say your observation (where the A series is better plugged in and the L series is better acoustically) is valid. Like you said, the new ARE treated top and scalloped bracing brings the A series close to par with the L series. The A series is still by far superior plugged in.

2 things to consider that could sway you toward 1 or the other:
-Cutaway a must? Only on the A series
-Body shape. The A dreadnoughts are dreadnoughts, and the the LL's are '' original jumbo'' sized. Comparable in overall size, but minor changes here and there could make or break your pick.

On another note, having a 26,36 and 56 model, which are above the 16 model in the L series makes me wonder on whether they use use average pieces of wood in the build, and saving the better ones for the higher end models.
The 26 and up are built in Japan, with the 36 and 56 having nitro finishes. I can't speak for the other two, but I owned an LL26 at the same time as the laminate b/s LL6 (pre A.R.E), and there wasn't as much sonic difference as you might expect. Cosmetically the wood of the 26 was very pretty indeed, but whether it was chosen for looks or tone I couldn't say. I have yet to play a 36 or 56, but what I would really get a kick out of would be playing the elusive, custom order only, Brazilian rosewood LL86-a mere snip at around $10,000.

http://www.shimokura-gakki.com/engli...tom_61321.html
Old 01-15-2018, 05:55 AM

You might be aware that the A5R AER won the ACOUSTIC magazine guitar of the year . I'm a Yamaha fan and if and its a big if I was in the market for another stage guitar it would be this one . I think the A series is designed more for live use but the acoustic tone is second to none . Personally I'd go for the rosewood back and sides but that's just me . I have the SRT system in my SLG200s and I cannot fault the sound quality
Good luck
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-15-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
A few weeks back, I posted about a guitar that blew me away. $499 Cort Gold D6 solid mahogany b/s, Solid sitka top, scalloped bracing, aged top, Grover open gear tuners. Best sounding guitar I've ever played. It's not a Yamaha, but if I was after a 'hog guitar that I didn't need to plug in, I'd have bought it then and there.
I tried both the Gold O-6 and D-6. Wasn't impressed especially with the rusty strings, I had high expectations for it with how Cort was hyping it up...

The top was extremely thin though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
a5m, a5r, ll16, yamaha