The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 06:38 AM

Default 1963 Gibson C-0

So this weekend I ended up picking up a vintage nylon acoustic.

It's not in horrible shape but needs some work.

Ended up talking the guy down to $100 bucks from $400.

I'm not sure why he did it, but it wasn't really of interest to me otherwise for more than 100 bucks so I held strong on negotiating and it worked.

From what I can tell it is ladder braced, and a couple of the back braces are not all the way off but are a bit wiggly. Additionally the back has come off the body a bit on the bottom of the guitar, but it really seems like a good clean up and wood glue should get this thing in decent shape. Also has a repaired top crack which he said that Elderly did (I live in Lansing, MI), so plausible, but this guy also said it was a '61 when it would appear to be a '63, so who knows.

The question is, I have a acoustic pickup, it's not the K mini, but the less expensive version of that (can't remember the name right now).

Is it sacrilege to drill a hole in this thing?

Also since I have so little invested in this thing, i'm thinking about trying to glue it up myself

Multiple Harmony's

'79 Fender Tele Deluxe
'13 Heritage Millennium
G&L Legacy Tribute
'87MIJ - Fender Squire

VoxAC15
multiple amps in disrepair
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 AM

Any repairs or modifications you undertake yourself are unlikely to improve whatever value the instrument has. If it were me, I'd do more research into whether it might be worth having it professionally restored before proceeding further.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
c-0, diy, drill, gibson, vintage