The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-22-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
He comes through Blacksburg and plays a few times a year too. That's what's so spectacular about Wayne is that he is just as good a picker as he is a builder, pretty incredible person.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
He comes through Blacksburg and plays a few times a year too. That's what's so spectacular about Wayne is that he is just as good a picker as he is a builder, pretty incredible person.
Definitely go see him, especially if you'd like a chance to play his guitar(s) at intermission. He's an amazing picker but what's interesting is that what sounds like flat picking is actually Travis picking i.e finger style....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Smile

Is my thread getting hijacked at all??
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
You can show us some more pics or perhaps a video of you playing to get back on track
Old 11-23-2016, 05:10 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Gorgeous guitar! Congrats Andy! I'm sure sitting down with this one is special.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Hi Folks

Thanks for the quick responses!

In terms of playing style. it's pretty varied - I like to play fingerstyle a lot of the time (James Taylor type stuff etc....) but I also like to bash out the big singalong chord songs sometimes - depends if I'm on my own or in company - I also like to play a hybrid of these two styles with a pick when I'm gigging - melody lines within a bigger soundstage etc..

Really just looking for the ultimate all round guitar in my Henderson - it's not going to be a collectors item, (I'm too old for that nonsense!) - I just want to decide on the perfect all round compromise guitar for all situations, and I know there's a bit of dream chaisng in that statement. Do I go for big robust dreadnought totally out there sound, or try for a tad more finesse and control with an OM??
What is interesting is that some will tell you that a dread is the ultimate all-around guitar. I don't agree and would suggest you go for an OM or 000. The OM and 000 are fine and big for strumming songs. My Froggy H12c (000) holds it's own in a flatpicking bluegrass ensemble and still responds well to fingerstyle. I have never played a Henderson so do not speak from experience and what I would choose has no value for your decision.
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 11-24-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallopinghost View Post
I don't want to put words into your mouth, Hans, we may be talking apples and oranges, but the Borges D21 over at Lowe's Vintage sounds pretty versatile to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Fi4xE7qL4

I think it depends on the builder, whether you prefer an immediate or more open response and if you're physically comfortable playing a dread for long periods of time or not.

I've owned dreads by Bob Altman and Ken Hooper that did everything exceptionally well. I remember a particular Cedar/Cocobolo Roy Noble dread a few years back at Greg Boyd's that handled fingerstyle better than 95% of the contemporary small jumbo's I've played.

For what the OP described I think a deep bodied OM is a great choice. My deep bodied Altman OM does it all well--cuts through a jam of a mandolin, banjo and 2 mortal D-18's like a knife and plays Gary Davis Jr perfectly on the couch. It doesn't have the focus of my OM-18, but few guitars do.
Hey Nste, u are right. I completely agree that there may such dreads out there but I never played one. Thanks for responding. I have also found OM/000 that do big strumming and flat picking so those are the guitars I have gravitated towards.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 11-24-2016, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, it's being tangentialized.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-28-2016, 03:12 AM

Well, this has been a year of highs and lows like none I have ever experienced....

At the start of this year, after many many years of patient communications and discussions with Wayne, I finally found myself in a position where my dream guitar would be built. As I indicated at the start of this thread, my plans were to attend the festival in June and collect my guitar whilst there.

In April this year - and out of the blue - I had to have major surgery on my back following a serious issue that resulted in deblitating neurological damage down my left leg, leaving me virtually unable to walk. I am still undergoing regular follow ups and physical therapy to hopefully improve the situation, and I also have to deploy an orthotic brace to help with walking. Clearly, after such surgery, a trip to Wayne's festival was impossible, hence the reason that I only finally received my guitar a few weeks ago.

I haven't been able to work since the surgery took place, and the likelihood of being able to return to work any time soon is looking very slim. My financial situation has come under extreme pressure, and following discussions with my mortgage providers and bank (not to mention credit card companies) I find myself in circumstances that require drastic action to remedy.

The bottom line is that I have no choice but to offer my beloved Henderson for sale, and believe me when I say that I truly never expected to part with this guitar whilst there was still a breath in my body. I am hoping that by explaining the circumstances and life changing issues behind this decision that people will understand the painful and unfortunate processes that have forced me down this road.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

Last edited by AndyC; 11-28-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Well, this has been a year of highs and lows like none I have ever experienced....

At the start of this year, after many many years of patient communications and discussions with Wayne, I finally found myself in a position where my dream guitar would be built. As I indicated at the start of this thread, my plans were to attend the festival in June and collect my guitar whilst there.

In April this year - and out of the blue - I had to have major surgery on my back following a serious issue that resulted in deblitating neurological damage down my left leg, leaving me virtually unable to walk. I am still undergoing regular follow ups and physical therapy to hopefully improve the situation, and I also have to deploy an orthotic brace to help with walking. Clearly, after such surgery, a trip to Wayne's festival was impossible, hence the reason that I only finally received my guitar a few weeks ago.

I haven't been able to work since the surgery took place, and the likelihood of being able to return to work any time soon is looking very slim. My financial situation has come under extreme pressure, and following discussions with my mortgage providers and bank (not to mention credit card companies) I find myself in circumstances that require drastic action to remedy.

The bottom line is that I have no choice but to offer my beloved Henderson for sale, and believe me when I say that I truly never expected to part with this guitar whilst there was still a breath in my body. I am hoping that by explaining the circumstances and life changing issues behind this decision that people will understand the painful and unfortunate processes that have forced me down this road.
Guess I don't understand Andy - Wasn't it just on 11/15/2016, less than two weeks ago, you posted this, thread #47, with no mention of any other issues? - - -

Quote:
Well, I'm back safely in the UK folllowing my flying visit to collect my guitar at the weekend - it was a gruelling trip, but boy was it worth it!! Probably one of the most intense and exciting weekends of my life. I spent several hours with Wayne at his shop, which was an experience in itself, and met some lovely people that had called by the shop to say hello because Wayne had told them that this English guy was calling by to pick up his new guitar!! Also, many thanks to another up and coming luthier (Jonathan Parker) who was there on Sunday, had seen my guitar in its' construction days, and taken some photos of the build - so an unexpected bonus for me is that I also have some "work in progress" pictures of my guitar being created. I'll post those at some stage in the future.

So, here are some iphone pics of my guitar. Ideally I would have taken these pics outdoors on a sunny day, but with the English winter kicking in that would mean waiting until next May, so please excuse the less than perfect pictures that you see below. I sincerely hope that the beauty of this guitar still shows through....

To confirm, this is a deep bodied OM42 with premium Madagascar Rosewood back and sides, and an absolutely stunning Adirondack top from John Griffins private reserve stock at Old Standard Wood. It sounds unbelievable, the extra depth of the body would fool you into thinking this is a dreadnought in some ways, but the balance and clarity across all of the frequencies is just incredible. And that's before the guitar has opened up, so I can only imagine how this is going to develop over the coming years. It is beyond my wildest expectations, and let me tell you that my expectations were high to start with!!

As soon as I have access to some decent recording gear, I'll upload some sound files.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Montesdad,

I decided to share my "issues" as you refer to them as in order to add some background, clarity and explanation to the situation I find myself in. In normal circumstances, I wouldn't expect to share details of my health, work and financial problems on a guitar forum - for reasons of pride as much as anything else.

I am trying to manage the most stressful situation I have ever had to cope with right now, so please understand that this has been a very very difficult decision to reach.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Default You gotta do what yo gotta do

sorry to hear of your circumstance but you don't owe us an explanation. My bet is Wayne would rather have you sell it to pay hospital/medical bills than it be a source of hardship to you, but I understand that either way it's a loss for you !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 11-28-2016, 05:16 PM

I don't think the man would fly half way around the world and fork over additional money for a custom case if he had the intention of selling the guitar. Lord knows the chances at getting another are slim to none. I really hope his situation improves.

a few too many
Old 11-29-2016, 09:00 AM

***edit***
Old 11-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Sorry you have to give up such a beauty. I wish you well on your recovery and no explanation needed.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop