The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 07:34 PM

Default Yamaha LS16m Vs Epiphone Aj-45me?

Has anyone played either of these guitars? I'm thinking about buying one or the other. I prefer a warmer tone with plenty of base response, but also with clear highs, however, I don't like particularly bright sounding guitars. Think Martin/Gibson over Taylor etc... Any help is greatly appreciated. This will be my first all solid wood guitar, and probably my last for a very very long time, so i'm obsessing over this decision way more than I probably should! Thanks!

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 PM

I played the AJ-45 locally and really liked it. In fact, I went back to buy it but it was sold. It wasn't the loudest guitar, but had a very nice tone that I think would work well with singing, and the setup was just the way i lIke it. I thought it looked great. I liked the satin, sunburst finish, but I've heard others with a not so favorable opinion, so YMMV.

They didn't have the LS16, but they did have the LL16. It was a really nice guitar, too, but I thought it was a little brighter. I preferred the Epiphone, but most of the Masterbuilts I've played, I didn't care for. So I would try before you buy if possible.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 PM

yeah Im going to go play the epiphone in person in a couple days to see if it has the sound i'm looking for. Not sure if my local dealers have any of the LS16M's on hand to try out. I like that the yamaha comes with a case, however, I already have a FG750s that I love which happens to be a pretty bright sounding guitar. So it may not make much sense to buy another.

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 PM

I tried the Yamaha LS16M several times lately. It`s a fantastic sounding guitar, and it has a very warm and not too bright tone. I think it is what you are looking for. I would love to buy it, I just don`t get along with the chunky neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
epiphone, gibson, martin, taylor, yamaha