The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABO View Post
I posted this same question on numerous forums (including Howard and AVS forum). The bottom line is that I gave up on the idea of trying to record with my HTC Imagio (WM 6.5), and got a Zoom H2.
Hi Dab, why did you give up? Lack of available information or a specific roadblock?

If I knew for sure it couldn't be done on a WM device I'd just get the iPhone, but I have a feeling any decent smartphone could have a reasonable stab at it.

On the iPhone, does anybody here know for sure whether you can set video recording to use the external audio input, or does it behave differently and restrict things to the built-in mic for video?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM

It uses whatever external mic is plugged in, over the integral mic. All I tested with was the heaphone combo deal that came with it, but yes it did work. So I guess that means I can plug my Zoom into my phone for videos. That seems so wrong to do.....
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks GBS, and if I can just say, your response is a perfect illustration of the whole WM vs iPhone comparison - I've been asking for days (here and elsewhere) whether I can record stereo audio onto a smartphone, still with no clear answer.

Ask the same question about an iPhone and I have an answer within a couple of hours!
Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 PM

So thanks to everyone's feedback (and a growing suspicion that WinMo audio inputs may be limited to lo-fi mono), I'm leaning towards the iPhone again now, with the Blue Mikey II as a stereo line-in & standalone accessory mic as required.

In my browsing I found a couple of references to a 90min recording time. I assume this is per Gb and not total, right?! An 'empty' 32gb iPhone should give me something like 40 hours of stereo hi-fi recording time?

Last edited by isiton212; 03-27-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 AM

Did not know they were coming out with a Blue Mikey Stereo.

I ordered and received the Blue Mikey a couple days ago. I did some quick acoustic guitar recordings with and without the Blue Mikey, to see what audible differences there were (with the stock recording app on the iPhone). Definitely sounds better with the Blue Mikey.

I plan to do a better A/B test this weekend (time permitting) and will try to post the results for anyone interested.

Darryl
Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Did not know they were coming out with a Blue Mikey Stereo.

I ordered and received the Blue Mikey a couple days ago. I did some quick acoustic guitar recordings with and without the Blue Mikey, to see what audible differences there were (with the stock recording app on the iPhone). Definitely sounds better with the Blue Mikey.

I plan to do a better A/B test this weekend (time permitting) and will try to post the results for anyone interested.

Darryl
I'd be very interested. Also - if you get a chance to play around with it, I'd be curious to know what kind of file options you have for the recording (file types, bit depth and sample rate).

Thanks.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I'd be very interested. Also - if you get a chance to play around with it, I'd be curious to know what kind of file options you have for the recording (file types, bit depth and sample rate).
Hi DupleMeter,

As I understand it there are 3 recording options: 11, 22 and 44 kHz, and all are stored as uncompressed wav (presumably depending on the app used?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD