The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-27-2014, 03:09 PM

Default Square neck dobro

Howdy folks,

I was wondering, where and at what price points am I looking if I want a square necked dobro that's similar quality to the instruments I already own (they're in my signature)? More quality is always nice, but I sure don't want anything less.

Please mind that I'm in Europe, some items may be rather difficult or impossible to get by and prices might be slightly skewed unless it's Recording King - their stuff is actually marginally cheaper here.

Don't I have enough different instruments already? Ehm, no.

Cheers!
CZ
Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 AM
ralphj

I recommend you check out the Gretsch reso's from the Roots collection. I have a round neck Alligator, which is a really nice guitar for the money. It's also available with a square neck. They should be quite easy to find in Europe (online at least).

Update: I see you're in the Netherlands too. I bought mine from bax-shop.nl.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:52 AM

My suggestion would be to look for one of the GoldTone Beard dobros. Here's a link to Paul Beards site, https://www.beardguitars.com/Merchan...gory_Code=GTRG. Getting one with the Beard setup really improves the sound and playability over the stock setup. I don't know if he ships overseas but it would be worth finding out.
Regards,
Ed
Old 06-28-2014, 12:07 PM

Thanks!

Gretsch is easily to get by. Beard has an importer in my country, but the upcharge is almost half of it's value on the cheapest available model. Would that still be worth it?

ETA: From what I've read, I think it's actually worth it.

Last edited by Cue Zephyr; 06-28-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 PM

If you're just looking for something to play around with the Gretsch may be the better deal, if you think the dobro is an instrument you're going to be pretty serious about I'd probably go for a GoldTone Beard. You might see if there is any way you can buy it directly from Paul Beard's shop and have it shipped directly to you. The setup he does is a great deal better than the standard setup GoldTone does. In the US the laminate version of the GoldTone Beard model is about twice the price of the Gretsch but has a much better cone & hardware. The Beard will have a pretty traditional dobro sound which I prefer to the Gretsch. You might also look for one of the Wechter Scheerhorn models, they have a more modern sound than the Beard but are also very nice. I don't think Wechter makes them any more but you may find a used one or NOS.
Regards,
Ed
Old 06-29-2014, 05:38 AM

The dobro is most likely going to be treated equal to my banjo and mandolin. That means I'll be learning tunes and backup techniques and trying to apply it to my own arrangements. As well as that, I might use it in a band context at some point.

I could probably buy it directly from Beard himself, but either way, I'll get shipping/handling costs and 21% of VAT. All of those added together might make it even with what the dealer retails them for. I suppose the version you're referring to is the PBS model?

Those Wechter instruments seem to sound pretty darn cool but local eBay shows nothing and neither does the local used market website. I'll keep an eye out for them, though.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:57 AM

The Gretsch Boxcar gets pretty good reviews on ResoHangout as an entry level dobro. I've played a few and thought they were nice for the price. The ones I've played seemed to be a bit lacking in the bass department and didn't sound as sweet as either the GoldTone Beard's or Wechter Scheerhorns. But for half the cost of the least expensive GoldTone, the Gretsch are really nice entry level instruments. The Gretsch would serve you well to learn on and may be all the dobro you'll want.

GoldTone has 3 Beard models the PBS, a laminate mahogany body model; the PBSD, a laminate maple body & the PBSM, a solid mahagony body. The PBSM is a pretty amazing dobro for the price. All of the GoldTone Beard models have a Beard spider & cone. A real key to getting the best tone from a dobro is starting with a good setup, that's why if you decide on a GoldTone I'd get it from Paul Beard's shop directly rather than another store. Especially if the cost would be the same.

Here's a link to a discussion on ResoHangout, take a look at the comments by Markin Sonoma about halfway down on the differences between entry level and mid level squareneck dobros. http://www.resohangout.com/topic/38019. That's pretty much the same thing I've found.

In the interests of full disclosure my current dobro is a Wechter Scheerhorn Rob Ickes model, unfortunately now that Wecheter is no longer making resonators they are very hard to find.

Just ran across this ad from Michael Messer, http://michaelmesser.proboards.com/t...bek-dobro-sale. Might be something you'd be interested in. I've never played a Holoubek but he has a good reputation.

Regards,
Ed

Last edited by marioed; 06-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:06 AM

I'd go for the Beard/Goldman or simply try and find a used Dobro 60D. They can be found surprisingly inexpensively over here.

But most of the others I've found disappointingly thin... the Regals, Recording Kings, Gretsch, etc.

I've been playing a late '80s Dobro for ages, owned a Model 27 Deluxe for a while, had more than a few others over the decades, as well as having tried out the low end ones at poor points in my life.

Have fun, they are a blast!

NOTE: The Lebeda resonators (Czech) are great if you can find one of them!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Hi, With dobros (or REsonatr Square necks) the box is secondary ad its al aboutv the cone and the setup.

Beard cones equal and exceed Quarterman cones.

If you buy anything else , Gretsch etc., it just won't sound like a Dobro.

Beware of any Gibson made Dobros as they are poorly made with intonation problems and a terrible cone - I know I have one. Has to have a replacement cone seating routed out and a Beard Cone and correcting spider fitted.

You could buy a 60D ('70s) and it will sound OK - fit a beard cone and it will sound good.

Talk to Palm guitars in ' Gravelandse Veer 5bg
1011 KM Amsterdam, the Netherlands

phone:+31 (0)20 4220445 / 06

If you pay me enough you could buy my now perfect Dobro Model 27 Deluxe and I'll Buy Ruidy Bult's RQ Jones.
Lemme know.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Cheers! I'll keep an eye out for the 60Ds - I think chances are slim but I can always try.

If I can't wait any longer I'll spring for a Gretsch, but I'll remember the Gold Tone line. If I can wait long enough I'll want the PBS model.

I checked Palm not long after I made this topic and got some responses, that's where I got the pricing from too. I think he gets the things from Beard himself, but perhaps I should ask him personally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments